VMware Cloud Community
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCSA on Linux with Site Recovery?

I am going to test site recovery manager 5.

For now, I am interesting is it possible to run site recovery on vCSA (Linux appliance)?

Is there any bandwith limit between sites?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

SRM 5.0 can work with the vCenter linux appliance but the SRM server component itself only installs into windows.

biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.

Anything abut bandwith limit?

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

bandwidth limit? can you be more specific......what replication technology are you using array replication? vSphere Replication?

what is the current link size and latency between the sites?

we do not publish limits as such for SRM. If using array replication then customers will usually work with the array vendor to outline their requirements i.e this is how much data we want to replicate, this is the data change rate, this is the type of replication we want sync/async will our current "pipe/link" handle it????

the array vendor can then work that out for you. bottom line if your requiremnts are more than your link can handle you have two choices fix the site-to-site connectivity issue using one of many possible techniques (bigger link, dedupe of replication data, compression...lots of options out there) or if the business won't invest in that stuff then you are left with "lowering your expectations" so if everyone said they wanted synchronous replication for example but there's no way your current link could cope or the change rate is too high you have to reset expectations.

for vSphere replication there is no limit published....again like array replication it will come down to number of vms you want to protect, unique write rate per-vm, desired RPO setting, once you have that you can use the figures in conjunction with latency on link, bandwidth size and workout what the average transfer size would be, how long it would take and whether it would fit inside the RPO window, you'll then have a good idea about what is/is not possible on the current link.

R1Davis
Contributor
Contributor

SRM is an ISO file so I see how that could work with the vCSA however the SRA is an exe file. Is there another format of the SRA that can be used to incoporate into the vCSA? Otherwise, I don't see how this would work with the appliance.

Ryan

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Ryan, as Lee said, SRM (and SRA) must be installed on separate Windows server.

0 Kudos