VMware Cloud Community
karnash
Contributor
Contributor

unable to set replication for vm

Hi,

I have SRM 5 installed and get the following error when I try to setup replication for a windows 2008 R2 64bit vm.

Call "HmsGroup.CurrentSpec" for object "GID-4b599f50-e02d-8143-a41e-b37a12e37ba9" on Server "10.x.x.25" failed. An unknown error has occurred.

I already have replication setup for other vm's but get error for this vm, I have bounced the vm but that did not help.

can anyone please advise. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi I have the same issue, the machine did not seem to replicate the first time and didn't create disks, then every time I select vsphere replication for this machine it now displays the error mentioned above.  The title of the error however is object has already been deleted or has not been completely created.

1882581.png

Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company he works for.
0 Kudos
kruddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Add another person to the count for having this problem.

I'm not seeing more than what teh screen shot above shows in the logs, but I'm going to keep digging in tomorrow.

I guess I'll try and replicate another one and hope that the problem is isolated to the first VM I tried!

Edit: Nope, happens on two different systems. Smiley Sad

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe this is actually related to a snapshot attached to the VM and may actually be this problem here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103932...

I am currently organising an outage so that we can deregister and reregister the VM, I will keep you posted on how this goes.

>> update our issue getting this error was caused by a faulty snapshot, this had nothing to do with vsphere replication but due to the faulty snapshot the error was generated starting vsphere replication.

Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company he works for.
0 Kudos
kruddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had some time to play around and test some things.

I received an error while trying to setup the replication which read:
Configuring Virtual Maching for Replication... failed.

VRM Server generic error. Please Check the documentation for any troubleshooting information. The detailed exception is 'Optimistic locking failure'.

Checking the documentation leads me to this:

In rare cases, if synchronization is enabled, during the Synchronize Storage step, the following error may occur: VR synchronization failed for VRM group groupname.  VRM Server generic error. Please check the documentation for any  troubleshooting information. The detailed exception is: 'Optimistic  locking failure'. This is more likely to occur when there is a  large amount of data to transmit during running a recovery plan, such as  when there some combination of a greater number of virtual machines and  a greater amount of data to synchronize. Despite the error, the  synchronization does succeed. Running the recovery plan again should  result in completion without errors.

However, it had not been synchronized yet. So this was ignored.

After taking some advice from karnash's post, I checked for snapshots (even though I have not had a problem replicating a system in the past with snaps) and there were none. So I then rebooted the system and tried to setup replication again. I was greeted with the "HMSgroup.currentspec" error posted above.

So I powered off the system, removed it from inventory, readded it in to the inventory via the vmx file, and powered it on. After a couple minutes, I tried to setup the replication policy again and this time it was successful and it is currently doing the initial sync.

Give it a shot and hopefully this helps.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a quick note

Snapshots are ok and fully supported by vSphere replication (they consolidate on the destination side)

However the above problem I mentioned is actually a faulty snapshot, that has nothing to do with vSphere replication, however the faulty snapshot will cause the error during starting up vSphere replication.

Errors obviously can also happen for other reasons as you have shown.

I also agree that if you are getting issues often deregistering the vm from vCenter and reregistering it will fix the issue.

0 Kudos
denisdk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

I have same problem with that, has sombody solve this issue??

I have check all IQDN and all port.

I dont have any idea...

Can please put some new updates.

thx.

This is my vcenter service status??

Have you either this Alert in vceter ??

forum.JPG

0 Kudos
karnash
Contributor
Contributor

I did not have any snapshots with the vm.

This is what I did to resolve the GUID error....

shutdown the vm, removed all virtual HDD's > deleted the vm > recreated the vm with the same name > added all the virtual HDD's >  started the vm > tried the replication > worked well.

The vmx file was the problem and this resolved the issue.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
denisdk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi karnash thx for the fast respond.

But without success.

I have try new VM remove all disk and create a new VM add  disk. I dont have snapshot etc...

But the same issue, its annoying!

Have maybe other idea??

This ugly mesg. what i get every time

forum.JPG

What is very strange when I revers replcation from site 2 to site 1 all works fine.

Im confused!

0 Kudos
karnash
Contributor
Contributor

thats the same ugly message I was getting,

I have to add, replication was working for other vm's but just for this vm I got the ugly error message

so you shutdown > removed all HDD > deleted the vm from inventory and disk ??

say vm is called prod1 > recreate a new vm called prod1vm later > then add the disks ??

This certainly worked for me. Once you create a new vm, a new vmx file is created. then add the disks and try the replication again.

I have found the vmware support from India very good and very helpful

0 Kudos
keiooz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here. I have tried checking all your tips and it looks like none works for me. I guess I am on my own now.

0 Kudos
denisdk
Contributor
Contributor

I have try all what you said, and install fresh VM and do :

"so you shutdown > removed all HDD > deleted the vm from inventory and disk ??" Yes

"say vm is called prod1 > recreate a new vm called prod1vm later > then add the disks ??" Yes

but without succes.

thx to

karnash

btw:

Have you contacts (mail) from the India guy (vmware support)

"I have found the vmware support from India very good and very helpful"

kraljec(at)hotmail.com

0 Kudos
karnash
Contributor
Contributor

kraljec,

mate I can't give his mail id. I had logged a case with vmware and he is well trained in SRM 5 and he usually picks up SRM 5 cases.

best to log a vmware support case and hope someone from India picks up the case.

Let us know once you manage to resolve this. Cheers

0 Kudos
karnash
Contributor
Contributor

forgot to ask, is replication working right now ?

have you any vm's that are being replicated ?

if not, you might just drop the hbrs & vrms appliances and recreate them.

don't forget to UNREGISTER them from VC before you drop them

0 Kudos
denisdk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Sorry for my late respond, I have open a case to

vmware and try to solve this issue, but right now without success

so we will continue to solve this issue today.

But this guy are from England.

can you send me mail or contacts from the Indian guy.. mybe he can help!?!

kraljec@hotmail.com

thx

0 Kudos
denisdk
Contributor
Contributor

forgot to ask, is replication working right now ?

Site 1 works fine

Site 2 works not, erver time same error and no replication

have you any vm's that are being replicated ?

Yes but only site 1

if not, you might just drop the hbrs & vrms appliances and recreate them.

Yes I have done this twice, unistall vcetner,srm,vrm,vrs and install new and fresh, but some error

don't forget to UNREGISTER them from VC before you drop them

Yes I now that, thx

Guys I hope that I (vmware support) solve this issue, I keep this post up to date.

thx

0 Kudos
anh2lua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had several issues with the vSphere Replication and most of them are similar to what have been described here.

I will list the items that we found and what had been done to correct the problem.  

1. VMware Support found a mismatch of IP/DNS for the vCenter server used in the configuration of the VRMS on our setup. If you are using IP, make sure it is configured with IP on both ends. If you are using DNS, it has to be DNS on both. Consistency is critical.

2. Check network configurations and make sure all the VRMS and vCenter can ping, in full mesh.

3. I also shut down VMs, removed from Inventory, re-added. Some worked and some didn't.

4. I also shut down VMs, removed from Inventory, deleted VMX file and recreated the VM, then re-added the Disks. That worked for one VM, didn't work for others.

5. I found out about the vim-cmd command. This is helpful so far.

You can enable SSH and SSH into the hosts where you VMs are running:

vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms to get the VMID of your VMs.

vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.getConfig vmid

vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.disable vmid

or you can try vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.getSate vmid or vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.enable vmid rpo diskid_source diskid_dest ....

What I found useful is to run the vim-cmd hbrsvc/vmreplica.disable vmid to disable replication of the VMs.

Once that is done, I use the vSphere Client to enable replication again. It works so far.

Hope this will help some of you.

VMware Support hasn't provided me with a solution yet. I just dig around and find that vim-cmd option.

0 Kudos