VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

srm vsphere replication same vcenter between datacenter

can vsphere replication be used to replicate vms between 2 Datacenters/Clusters in the same vcenter or does it have to be different vcenter?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Yes - see How vSphere Replication Works - Replication In a Single vCenter Server diagram.

But those replications are visible only in VR UI and can not be orchestrated by SRM. SRM does not support single vCenter for source and target of the same replication group.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

ok so SRM and vsphere replication are different?

Do I need srm if I am trying to replicate VMs from one DC to another in same vcenter?

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

SRM can use either:

- array based replication - per LUN data protection

or

- vSphere replication - per VM data protection

SRM does not support replicating within the same vCenter Server.

SRM provides recovery plans (invoking DR operations on multiple replicated VMs), test recovery, IP customization and other higher level functionality.

VR is per-VM and does not provide "test recovery" functionality.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

what are the limitations with vsphere replication within the same vcenter? I have quite a lot of VMs o replicate between DCs in same vcenter

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

The limits for VR are the same within or across vCenters Operational Limits for vSphere Replication 6.x (2102453) | VMware KB

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

so only 1 replication appliance per vcenter and 2000 maximum replications/appliance?

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

vSphere Replication appliances per vCenter Server instance

Maximum number of additional vSphere Replication servers per vSphere Replication appliance

Maximum number of protected virtual machines per vSphere Replication appliance

Maximum number of protected virtual machines per vSphere Replication server200

you need 1 VRA (the first VR appliance you deploy - this one handles the management) and 9 VRS to hit the 2000 VMs per vCenter. Each VRA/VRS supports a max of 200 VMs.

For more details on the difference between the appliances see the VR FAQ: Storage and Availability Technical Documents

0 Kudos