VMware Cloud Community
Dready
Contributor
Contributor

lun free space requirements for starting Vm's (test plan)

Hello,

We're testing SRM and run into some issues when starting vm's. Some vm's with more than 1 ,2 Gb free space in the Lun do start, vm's with less do not start.

How much free space is needed for a vm to start in the recovery site ?

Does it depend on the configuration (memory) of the original vm ?

All the vm's are running on the protected site.........

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dready
Contributor
Contributor

I've been doing some comparing and it looks like SRM creates a new vswp file and doesn't delete the old one.

So you need to have enough free space in the lun to hold at least 2 vswp files !!!

0 Kudos
dergin
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

I have same problem as well. I have a 500GB LUN with 76GB free space I can boot up the first VM while running the recovery plan but second comes up with run out of disk space. Any idea how much space I need...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

>> I've been doing some comparing and it looks like SRM creates a new vswp file and doesn't delete the old one.

This issue is fixed in SRM 1.0 U1.

0 Kudos
DAbowitt
Contributor
Contributor

Is this fixed in the new version? Fix is not part of the Release Notes!!!

We had same issue: 25GB LUN, 20GB partition, Server with 4GB of RAM. During SRM testing SRM wanted to create duplicate RAM swap file. So since the actual math with the 2nd RAM swap file exceeded 25GB LUN would not start. We deleted 1st RAM swap file and the VM started.

I need to know ASAP if this was actually fixed because our solution is to VMotion to a temp LUN, expand the original LUN size, and then VMotion back the data. We are doing this next week so would be nice to know don't have to go through this motion.

David Abowitt, VCP - Senior Systems Manager; Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles

0 Kudos
DAbowitt
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I confirmed that this issue was fixed by failing over (Test) of VM we had issue with. No duplicate RAM file. Good Job

Fix should be added to release notes.

0 Kudos