ihave the same situation

Any help

0 Kudos
10 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Can you give me issue description for SRM ?

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
nhajji
Contributor
Contributor

I have a main production site that contains my production servers and this site is SRM protected and replicated to another DR site.

i need to run my backup solution (Symantec backup exec 2012) at the DR site.

when i try to backup the SRM protected vms at the DR, iget the following Symantec backup exec error:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009574 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38260

V-79-57344-38260 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be to...

please help and advise.

regards

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Are you sure from  DR site ? Since DR sites  replicated datastore will be in read only mode, if it is Array based replication.

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
nhajji
Contributor
Contributor

No, it is VR Replication.

and the datastore is not read only.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Got it . Let me  check and let you know

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

what is  your issue,  all you are saying is that you have the same situation, but what situation?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
nhajji
Contributor
Contributor

hi tom

i replied to Another post:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1690348#1690348

regarding backing up the VMs from the SRM DR site, a new discussion appeared:

and here is the situation in details as listed in the discussion above:

I have a main production site that contains my production servers and  this site is SRM protected and replicated to another DR site.

i need to run my backup solution (Symantec backup exec 2012) at the DR site.

when i try to backup the SRM protected vms at the DR, iget the following Symantec backup exec error:

Completed status: Failed

Final error: 0xe0009574 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot.

Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38260

V-79-57344-38260 - Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be to...

Regards.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Are you backing them up at the primary site too? if not do so. I think that VR has an exclusive lock on the replicated guests, which stops the backup agent working.  consider backing up the guests from the live site end and removing these from the backup job at DR

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
nhajji
Contributor
Contributor

Many Thanks Tom

I am backuing up the Main Site, but i am looking for a way - if this is possible - to activate the backup jobs at the DR Site in order to remove the overhead at the main ( we are speaking of TBs ) and this data needs a lot of time.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I do not think that Snapshots are allowed of the shadow VM due to the way VR works.  The VR process is more akin to a continous V2V conversion or a storageFT process, any snaps on the source machine a colessed on the target shadow. Also there is an lock on this by VR which prevents certain commands being run against the shadow guest, attempt to start a shadow VM with the Source machine still active.

So in reality although all the necessary parts are there, the shadow VM is not really a true VM, hence the term shadow,  it is not really managed by the DR site, but psudo managed by the primary site and there is only a placeholder for potential failure in the DR site.

0 Kudos