Bugatt1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

error while testing recovery plan

Hi!

From docs about SRM 6:

from Install guide

If you use vSphere Replication, do not select a placeholder datastore that you already use

as the target datastore for replications.

from admin guide:

The replicavirtual machine that vSphere Replication creates and the placeholder virtual machine that

Site Recovery Manager creates can both reside on the same datastore on the recovery site because they are

created in different datastore folders. When the replica and placeholder virtual machines are in the same

datastore, Site Recovery Manager creates the placeholder virtual machine name by using the replica virtual

machine name with the suffix (1). Site Recovery Manager applies the inventory mappings to the

placeholder virtual machine on the recovery site.

so, I guess the best practice is mentioned in the Install guide Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, you can consider the suggestion in the Install guide as "Best Practice". Using the same datastore for placeholders and target for replication is supported, but can create confusion with multiple folders created for the same VM.

Best Regards

Stefan Tsonev

Director - VMware Site Recovery Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, you can consider the suggestion in the Install guide as "Best Practice". Using the same datastore for placeholders and target for replication is supported, but can create confusion with multiple folders created for the same VM.

Best Regards

Stefan Tsonev

0 Kudos
Bugatt1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. So, then I ought to size the placeholder datastore... I figure it shouldn't take up much capacity because it comprises only config VM files..maybe about 1 Gb is ok?

0 Kudos
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, 1GB should be more than enough.

Best Regards

Stefan Tsonev

0 Kudos
stuartclements
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I will update the Admin doc to reflect the best practice stated in the install and config doc.

Thanks!

Stuart

SRM docs

0 Kudos
Bugatt1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi!

Again back to docs...

SRM 6.0 admin guide:

page 37:

If you remove protection from a virtual machine that is part of array-based replication protection

group, you must move the files of that virtual machine to an unprotected datastore. If you leave the

files of an unprotected virtual machine in a datastore that Site Recovery Manager has included in a

datastore group, recovery fails for the entire datastore group.

page 38:

You use array-based replication, and someone moves to a replicated datastore a virtual machine that

you do not want to protect. If you remove protection from the virtual machine, the protection group

still shows the Not Configured state, but test recovery and real recovery continue to succeed.

btw, as for Placeholder datastore size, I've created 1Gb iSCSI LUN for datastore, but when I'm gonna create it, it said: The capacity value must be at least 1,3 Gb. Enter another value Smiley Sad

What's more, I can normally administer VR and SRM only via SSO admin..when I sign up with domain user assigned Administrator role, I still cant admin VR and SRM...

0 Kudos
stuartclements
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Thanks for pointing this inconsistency out. I'll investigate and correct.

Thanks!

stuart

0 Kudos