VMware Cloud Community
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

dr-ip-customizer.exe error when running

I'm trying to run a command as part of a recovery plan which executes the IP address change.

It fails with the following error:

Error: User designed callout 'C:\"Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager\bin\dr-ip-customizer.exe" -cfg ..\config\vmware-dr.xlm -csv C:\test\dr-ip.csv -cmd create' has returned a non-zero value: 4.

I've tried changing the path and ensuring everything required is there, but I still recieve the same error.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

You are not supposed to run the dr-ip-customizer.exe as a part of you Recovery Plan.

You should run it after you create the Recovery Plan or when you protect new VMs.

First of all you create csv file using "generate" command and then fill iit with ip information

After that you need to run dr-ip-customizer with "create" command. This will:

- create custom specifications (answer files for a sysprep) for all the VMs listed in input CSV file

- attach custom specs to the placeholder VMs which tells SRM to run sysprep and change networking settings as part of the Recovery Plan ("change network settings" step)

Michael.

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, thanks for your assistance so far.

I'm now running this command manually and still seeing issues, but will test further and provide feedback of specifc errors.

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you just confirm the location of Sysprep for me.

Should this be installed on the vCenter server in the recovery site?

I assume the dr-ip-customizer some how makes a call to this during the re-ip

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

I don't know how exactly SRM does the customization.

But SRM does not use sysprep packages residing on the vCenter server.

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your response.

Just be clear, I'm running the dr-ip-customizer commands against my recovery site before actually invoking a test or failover.

I don't understand how this edits the configuration, but it seems to be working (sort of).

I'm now seeing the following error during the recovery.

Error: The number (1) of network adapter settings in customizatoin specification ''

I do have 2 adpaters in my VM, which might be a problem

FYI - Have removed the 2nd NIC from the shaddow vmx file, but still see the same error

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Yes, you need to run the dr-ip-customizer on the recovery site's SRM server. You can run it on all placeholder (shadow) VMs at the site or on placeholders of the specific recovery plan.

It does support customization of VM with several NICs. Probably the issue is in your CSV file. The file structure is pretty complicated and not too much comprehensive.

Can you publish the csv file or only the part of it related to that VM?

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

See attached

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

You have to add new row for the second adapter exactly as you did for the first adapter. In "Adapter ID" column type "2".

thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is now working, but to achieve this I started from scratch.

Removed all protection from VM.

Deleted the recovery plan

Protected the VM again

Created a new recovery plan

Ran the DR-IP-reporter.exe

Ran the DR-IP-Customizer.exe -generate

Edited the csv file to add the necessary IP details

Ran the DR-IP-Customizer.exe -create

Ran a test failover

Happy days!

Thanks for all of your help

0 Kudos