VMware Cloud Community
mbt
Contributor
Contributor

does it make sense to protect a windows AD DC server?

Especially when the recovery site is across a routed link, so that the IP addresses of vms have to change during the recovery? I mean - changing the IP address of a DC is not something that should be done quick and dirty using a little pearl script, or whatever. Right?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

it makes more sense to create a secondary or read only dc server in the DR site rather than using SRM to protect.

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

I think it is better to just run any DCs, DFS or any other similiar application both at your protected site and your recovery site.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I know I heard this somewhere, but can't remember where. Anyway, it is not recommended to do this because of several services such as DNS and AD topology need to be up and running during the "failover" of the servers in SRM. For example, if you are failing over Exchange, AD needs to be up at the site where exchange is going to reside. Changing the IP of DCs is not recommended by MS. 

I would recommend to have a least one on your DR site. THis will make thing easier and a lot faster during testing and real DR scenarios.

I'll post back once I find my sources...

0 Kudos