VMware Cloud Community
mo21384
Contributor
Contributor

deploying vSphere replication on Mgmt / Workload

Deploying SRM with vSphere replication.

Solution is based on VxRail, VCF

Mgmt /Workload domain vCenter are linked

Question is what's the VMware recommendation or the best practice on where the vSphere replication and SRM appliance to be deployed. to replicate VM from Workload.

Moderator note by wila: Moved post to Site Recovery Manager discussions

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

VR appliance currently has to be deployed to the VC it is connected to. SRM appliance doesn't have that requirement. Given these restraints, general VCF recommendations/best practices would apply.

0 Kudos
mo21384
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for the response  (vbrowncoat)

on vvd 5.1 

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Validated-Design/5.1/vmware-validated-design-51-sddc-architecture-...
SDDC-OPSDR-002 - Deploy each Site Recovery Manager instance in the management cluster. (Page 297)
SDDC-OPS-DR-016 - Deploy each vSphere Replication appliance in the management cluster. (Page 305)

First when I deployed Management cluster and tried pointing to one of the compute cluster, it was giving me an error attached.
I went to check the ovfEnv.xml file on VR, found that it was picking up Mgmt vCenter which is part of same SSO domain on enhanced linked mode.

Due to the time constrains, deployed SRM & VR on same vCenter as it's getting connected and worked on first attempt.

But still I need to know the right path and move the SRM & VR appliance to Management cluster. if VVD 5.1 is correct.

Any support will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

I'm not able to see the image of the error. Can you provide details?

Just to be clear, VR only supports replicating VMs that are in the same VC that it is connected to. 

What are you trying to accomplish?

0 Kudos