VMware Cloud Community
MohammadMehdiAh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

about prerequisites for installing SRM 5.8

Dear Guys

Im new to SRM. i want to install SRM 5.8 in a test environment. i have 2 ESXi server for testing SRM.

1. is this possible to install and configure SRM with these two server and without share storage ? all vms including vcenter and vsphere replication and srm are on the local storage of these servers.
  2. is this mandatory that the vcenter to be configured in linked mode?

The srm 5.8 installation guide didnt explicitly mentioned about the above questions of me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello ,

Yes, you can use only vSPhere Replication, and link that I shared before can be used as reference for implementing vSphere Replication.

Regards

Mohammed EMaad

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello Team,

You can ... Here is what you need to do. I assume you want to use vSphere Replication 5.8, since if you use SRM 5.8, you need to have storage array base replication.

Get two vCenter server , add one ESXi host to each vCenter server, then deploy the vSphere Replication appliance on each of the ESXi host.

Here is link which shows how to deploy and configure vSphere Replication, VR ( vSphere replication work with local datastore with out shared datastore )

VMware vSphere Replication 5.X Basic Deployment and Configuration | vDiscussion

vCenter server does not need to be in linked mode.

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

MohammadMehdiAh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear sir

Thank you so much for your reply.

you're correct. I want to use vsphere replication NOT array-based replication and of course I'm using vsphere replication 5.8. but there is something that is ambiguous for me. you said :

".... since if you use SRM 5.8, you need to have storage array base replication."

you mean that in SRM 5.8 , there is mandatory to have array-based replication? is this impossible to use vsphere replication alone ?

thank you so much for your consideration.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello ,

Yes, you can use only vSPhere Replication, and link that I shared before can be used as reference for implementing vSphere Replication.

Regards

Mohammed EMaad

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To be clear SRM 5.8 (and earlier) will work with either vSphere Replication or Array Based Replication.

You do not need to have array based replication to be able to use SRM with vSphere Replication.