VMware Cloud Community
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 2008 Domain Controllers cannot ping during test

I ran a test of my recovery plan with my domain controllers and they cannot ping anything, it says "unable to contact ip driver general failure".  Has anyone come across this before?  I found some forums about the SID being identical so I built a new DC from a deployment server, not a clone, and it assigned the same SID as the other DC's.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FYI... I can ping from the production servers with no issue, it is just during the test of SRM this comes up.

0 Kudos
Marcovw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dwilli,

Did you managed to get this fix ? I had the same problem with the domain controller in the DR tests.

The operating system was Windows 2008 R2. After restoring the machine from a storage snapshot or after a clone we ran into this problem.

I my case this had to do with 2 things : First the vmxnet3 nic triggers different behavior in Windows after cloning/restoring what will result in a new nic and the

lose of ip settings from this nic, not a big issue but inconvenient and causes slow booting etc.

The second thing was that System Center Endpoint protection somehow blocked access to the network driver. Removing System Center Endpoint protection

solved this problem of "unable to access the IP driver." i can image the filter driver for network access is also in other anti-virus programs, this may cause

the same problems.

I didn't find any solution on the internet for this problem, other then the duplicate SID, witch obviously was not the case.

Kindest regards,

Marco

0 Kudos