VMware Cloud Community
malhareth1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vsphere replication concern

Dear All,

I need help to know the following, I have network link bandwidth reach to 20M, but this link is used for all network traffic between Main site and DR site, I am now Implementing SRM with Vsphere replication technology my total datastores is 8 T.B but my actual data is 3 T.B, I think that 20 M is not enough for Replication specially for initial sync replication for lun, the question is can I dedicate a separate link with 100M for replication only and how we can do it, second thing I am actually upgrading from SRM 4.1 to SRM 5.1 so the data is replicated by storage so can I use the data as seed copies to minimize replication between main site and DR site, I need help on that urgently

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
claudino
Contributor
Contributor

>can I dedicate a separate link  with 100M for replication only and how we can do it.

Replication happens between the ESX hosts on the protected site to the vSphere Replication appliance at recovery  site.

Initial replication traffic happens through port 31031 and ongoing replication happens through 44046. I'm not a networking expert but if you can manage to route replication traffic(both initial sync and ongoing) from multiple ESX hosts (assuming you have multiple hosts Smiley Happy )on the protected site to the 100mb link it should be possible. Source :- http://goo.gl/VTL8a

>second thing I am  actually upgrading from SRM 4.1 to SRM 5.1 so the data is replicated by  storage so can I use the data as seed copies to minimize >replication  between main site and DR site, I need help on that urgently

If you can somhow manage to mount the (replicated by the array) Luns/VMFS volumes on the DR site, possibly by resignaturing the lun/vmfs volume, you get the option to browse and select the vmdk disk on the recovery site when enabling replication for a VM. The advantage of this is, you will not be using bandwidth for the initial sync but for delta changes only.

Hope that answers your query.

Regards,

K1@ud

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

malhareth1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For the second answer about the Replicated luns, I will stop the replication from array (Fracturing the mirror an removing the replication) and after that I will be able to mount the Luns to DR hosts then I can use them instead of doing intial replication.

0 Kudos