VMware Cloud Community
timeshok
Contributor
Contributor

VReplicator and SRM for real Test DR

Hello everyone,

i have end to setup the infrastructure with SRM and VReplicator. We have in sync different VMs without issues.

In the coming weeks our customer will want to do a real DR test with failover and failback (to do within the day).

We have tested the  SRM process with a single test VM and everythin worked well (planned migration, reprotection, 2nd planned and reprotection).

The only problem detected is the long time to do checksum for the reprotection. For the test VM it took 10-12 minutes; in this case it's no much time but for the real DR, we have 10 TB of data to move from Primary to DR Site; if the checksum time is directly proportional to the size of the data, to complete checksum we need some days and this mean that the production will stay on the DR site for some days.

To avoid this risk and issue, we have in mind to use SRM with the Test DR function.  Obviously we will have some manual activities to do but, when the test will be finished, we can clean the environment avoiding reprotect phase. Our idea is:

• power off on Primary Site
  • run SRM Test DR
  • change routing from Primary to DR site
  • test access to DR test environement
  • test environment form customer
  • when the test will declared finsih cleanup Test DR
  • change routing on Primary SIte
  • power on Production VMs

What do you think about it? Is it feaseable? Have you some suggestion?

Thanks

Vincent

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Vincent,

Yes, this can be performed provided you do not want to retain the changes performed on test recovered VM. Once you cleanup test recovery, test VM and data will be cleaned.

Ensure VR and SRM sites remain connected during test and test cleanup.

I hope that helps

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Site Recovery Manager area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos