VMware Cloud Community
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VRMS database not connecting to SQL 2008 Express

I am having massive problems connecting using SRM 5. The userid is right, I can connect to the instance with it, but the VRM appliance cannot see the database.  The error I am getting is "Error applying startup configuration. Please check the provided DB information". I can't find anything in the SQL logs or standard windows logs.

Is SQL Express supported for VRMS? We really dont want to have to deploy a full SQL database in our DR environent.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SCX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you create the DB yourself? You need to double-check the login details and permissions. There is a list of explicit permissions that you should give the login in the VRMS installation guide, or you can be lazy and just make it a sysadmin (not recommended for a production environment!) Was it a default SQLExpress instance? Are you using IP or FQDN to connect?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SCX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Make sure you open TCP port 1433 in the SQL Configuration Manager, on the SQL Server Network Configuration  >> Protocols >>TCP/IP >> Properties >> IP addresses Tab, and scroll to the bottom.

Edit: Yes, SQL Express is supported, it's just a hobbled version of the full SQL, but should be adequate for small installations.

Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried that, I put port 1433 as the TCP Port under IPAll. Under SQL Native client 10.0 Configuration -->Client Protocols-->TCPIP the default port is set to 1433 and enabled set to Yes.

I am still not having any luck.

0 Kudos
SCX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you create the DB yourself? You need to double-check the login details and permissions. There is a list of explicit permissions that you should give the login in the VRMS installation guide, or you can be lazy and just make it a sysadmin (not recommended for a production environment!) Was it a default SQLExpress instance? Are you using IP or FQDN to connect?

0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I created the database myself and the instance was created whin I installed the vCenter server locally. I am connecting to it using server.domain.com/VIM_SQLEXPRESS. I gave the VRS User dbo rights which worked in SQL 2008.

However, I hadn't bothered with creating a database schema as 2008 Ent did not need it. I created the schema in Express, game the VRMS user ownership of the schema and the database and it worked. 2008 Express obviously requires the schema.

Thanks for your help, that has saved us $1000's of dollars a year as we now dont have to create a SQL server for our DR site.

0 Kudos
adelisa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

then will DR create it self time of configuration or will it use windows inbuilt databse ?http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/vbsmile.png

0 Kudos
2012hplp2475w02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I have the same issue with my VRMS server I can't figure out where's the problem.

vCenter and SRM servers are each installed on their own machine.  vCenter is install on another machine.  I installed SQL Server 2008 express R2 on the SRM source SRM machine and destination SRM machine.  I manually created a database for SRM and for VRMS on each server, as described in the SRM admin guide.

I tried to connect with the IP adress with/without the instance name, the full FQDN name with/without the instance name : nothing works.

I edited the port number in the SQL Server Configuration Manager to 1433.  I gave the user all the rights that is possible to give in SQL.

Is there anything else I should check?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Eensure that the SQL instance that you are connecting to is set to Mixed Mode authentication. Also, do a reverse lookup test on your IP address. Do it a couple of times to see if there are any other machines with the same ip address.

Check that your user and Schema on Express are exactly the same name and that the user owns the schema and has dbo rights to the database.

What is the exact error you are getting?

0 Kudos
2012hplp2475w02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I finally made it.  I had to enter the FQDN of both the DB server and the vCenter server in the VRMS settings and use SQL Server authentication.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I also had this error and had to use SQL authentication and give the user full rights to the DB.  Wish VMware could package this appliance with a free DB like the vCenter Server Appliance.  SQL problems made me burn way to many hours on this.

0 Kudos