VMware Cloud Community
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware SRM 5.8 and EMC RP

Hi Folks,

We have implemented SRM 5.8 along with EMC RP 4.1 (array based replication). While we validating planned migration we are encountering multiple issues as given below.

ERROR 1:

2.3. Shutdown Priority 3 VMs

Error - Operation timed out: 300 seconds

ERROR 2:

5. Restore Protected site hosts from standby

Error - The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created

ERROR 3:

6.1.2. Change Storage to Read-only

Error - Failed to demote source devices. SRA command 'prepareFailover' failed. Failed opening session for user to site mgmt IP. Please see server logs for further details. Failed to demote source devices. SRA command 'prepareFailover' failed. Failed opening session for user to site mgmt IP. Please see server logs for further details.

Error "Failed opening session for user to site mgmt IP", seen even while configuring array manager at SRM. But the same got resolved after enabling 'https' at both SRM SRA. Can anyone please help to understand the issue? I have tried reregistering ESXi nodes to vCenter inventory, reboot ESXi and other infra servers, etc. But no luck.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Hari Narayanan.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Protected site hosts are restored from standby (DPM is disabled) so that the storage can be unmounted from them and set to read-only.

I echo what GSS says, the issue with the LUN demote error is very likely with the SRA and therefore EMC. I think the protected site hosts from standby issue may be related to that as well (not able to unmount LUN?)

Regarding your VM shutting down, you are saying that the VM successfully shuts down? The default is for SRM to wait 5 mins (300 secs) for the shutdown, if the VM takes longer than that you would want to change the timeout value in advanced settings. See here for details: Site Recovery Manager 6.0 Documentation Center

View solution in original post

5 Replies
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Guys, any idea?

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sounds like multiple issues. Have you opened a support case?

Error 1 may be no VMtools on the VM?

0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi, thank you for your response.

Yes, we have opened VMware SR. For LUN demote error VMware saying it might be issue with EMC RP. We were also had same suspect and opened separate SR with EMC.

But for Shutdown timeout error and host standby restoration error, VMware not having any clue. They are just keeping the ball rolling.

Initially I also thought shutdowm timeout could be VMware tools issue, but later I observed command for guest OS shutdown is issued correctly but it is only that SRM is unable to fetch update on if the VM is correctly shutdown or not.

Regarding host standby error, recovery site restoration is completing successfuly. It has only issue with protected site ESXi hosts standby restoration. But my question is why it has restore protected site hosts from standby? VMs are going to be fail overed to remote site only? (may be product bug?)

Best Regards,

Hari Narayanan.

0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also is it possible to pass parameter to skip standby restoration step? We dont use DPM functionality!

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Protected site hosts are restored from standby (DPM is disabled) so that the storage can be unmounted from them and set to read-only.

I echo what GSS says, the issue with the LUN demote error is very likely with the SRA and therefore EMC. I think the protected site hosts from standby issue may be related to that as well (not able to unmount LUN?)

Regarding your VM shutting down, you are saying that the VM successfully shuts down? The default is for SRM to wait 5 mins (300 secs) for the shutdown, if the VM takes longer than that you would want to change the timeout value in advanced settings. See here for details: Site Recovery Manager 6.0 Documentation Center