VMware Cloud Community
gebbie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware SRM 5.5 offsite backup

Hi,

We have a customer who currently has VMware 5.0 in combination with SRM 5.

But this customer now want to have an offsite backup.

He want to store the data offsite due to regulations of the local institute.

Does anyone has any experience with VMware SRM and a offsite backup solution and want to share this with me?

Dies VMware has a solution or do we need to look for a 3rd party solution?

Thanks in advance

G Coolen

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

SRM can interop with backup solutions, both VADP based or agent based.

If they can upgrade to vSphere 5.5 or 6, essentials plus licensing includes access to vSphere Data Protection which includes backup replication which would provide a way to provide data protection for VMs as well as BC/DR through SRM.

gebbie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response; I discussed the option but the customer is not willing to upgrade yet. Mid next year the customer will perform a hardware refresh and at that time with a newer version (most likely 6) of VMware.

So if there are other options to get an offsite backup (3rd party?) in conjunction with SRM are most welcome, because the customer want to have this implemented due to regulations latest early Q3 this year.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

Any backup vendor that supports VADP and their version of vSphere will work (there should be a lot of them, all things being equal I'd recommend Veeam). I was recommending VDP as it is included in essentials plus and higher licensing so wouldn't require additional cost.

0 Kudos
gebbie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks much appreciated.

0 Kudos