VMware Cloud Community
wallbreakr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM virtual disk

Hello,

I have a VM with two virtual disk on two datastore.

First datastore replicated on a recovery site.

Second datastore not replicated.

Can SRM delete the second virtual disk from the VM profile before booting the VM on the recovery site ?

Regards,

Yannig

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

By running through the protection process and selecting to "detach" the non-replicated disk from the virtual machine the disk will be effectively removed from the vm at the recovery site. The guest O/S will not be reconfigured and will see a missing device. I run several vms in this configuration and have had no issues.

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

By running through the protection process and selecting to "detach" the non-replicated disk from the virtual machine the disk will be effectively removed from the vm at the recovery site. The guest O/S will not be reconfigured and will see a missing device. I run several vms in this configuration and have had no issues.

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos
wallbreakr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"and selecting to "detach" the non-replicated disk from the virtual machine" : how do you do this in the SRM process ?

0 Kudos
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Page 282, Mike Laverick's SRM 4.0 book. Available for free download by following the links on his blog http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/2010/03/22/new-administrating-vmware-site-recovery-manager-4-0/

Basically, on configuration error a dialog for manual protection configuration will pop up. Running through the wizard, in the Storage Devices section you will see the non-replicated device and a detach button.

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos