VMware Cloud Community
Dinges
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM customizations possibilities

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the customization possibilities and I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to configure the vm hardware in the recovery site? I would like to start a vm in the recovery site with 1Gb of ram although in production it contains 2Gb. Consider a scenario in which the recovery site is a "light" version of the production site and has less resources.

2. What kind of commands can you run in the customization of a vm in the recovery site when you choose "add a command", e.g. at "pre-power on". Is this command run outside the vm or inside in a command line? Any use cases?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the customization possibilities and I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to configure the vm hardware in the recovery site? I would like to start a vm in the recovery site with 1Gb of ram although in production it contains 2Gb. Consider a scenario in which the recovery site is a "light" version of the production site and has less resources.

2. What kind of commands can you run in the customization of a vm in the recovery site when you choose "add a command", e.g. at "pre-power on". Is this command run outside the vm or inside in a command line? Any use cases?

Thanks

OK, First question. Not with in SRM currently. The VMX file that is used to power on the VM at the recovery site has the same settings as the one in your protected site - that's caused by the replication process. It isn't possible to edit the "placeholder" VMX and over-ride the settings. I completely understand your requirements though....

Secondly, I think you on the right lines with trying to do this with a script. I have a feeling your best bet might be to use the Windows VI Toolkit (aka PowerShell extensions for VMware) as this has the full virtualcenter info exposed to it. Scripts execute in the context of administrator on the local system (Yeah, I know ?!!?!) of the Recovery Site SRM... When I've used commands before - I have just used a DOS based batch file - you need paths to the scripting engine and path to script - and watch out for "speech marks" - I would test the script manually for trying to call it from the Recovery Plan - obivious stuff I know - but thought it should say so...

If you unfamiliar with the PowerShell thing - I'm sure the guys at the PowerShell forum would be glad to help you out. Let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

http://communities.vmware.com/community/developer/windows_toolkit

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
Dinges
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Mike, I guess my expectations on this were too high.

0 Kudos
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

i created a customization file at the recovery site,

where do i need to direct SRM to use it, at the protected site properties or at the recovery site,

also, how does that work for linux vm's that are in the compatability guide for customization (for windows you have sysprep..what do you have for linux)

Itzik Reich
0 Kudos