VMware Cloud Community
sushilkm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM UUID post failover

HI,

A typical question came my way yesterday. We plan to protect workloads with SRM and if need arises fail over to DR site and continue operations. One typical question was whether "Hyper visor's Machine ID for the VM going to be different than the one in the source DC " . As for as i understand the machine id depends on the V Center instance id and since V Center instance ID will change post fail over to recovery site, ideally  machine ID should not change as V center tracks VM via VC instance id.  moreover, changing machine ID will cause lots of issue at App layer as many apps depend on VM machine id Aka UUID.

Am i thinking correctly or the machine UUID also changes post fail over to recovery and while re protecting the VM.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The UUID remains the same.

0 Kudos
sushilkm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks . So I stand corrected . Is there any documentation link saying same. I searched through but could not find anything worth considerate.

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I thought it was published somewhere but not finding it now. I'll get something out as a blog shortly and see about getting the documentation updated as well.