VMware Cloud Community
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Using SRA for EMC Recoverpoint , can't get the snapshots to delete after test

I've attached the vmware-dr.log file to show what's happening but basically I've given the user all administrative permissions to create bookmarks (snapshots) of the LUNS and delete them but the SRA doesn't seem to complete the tasks.

What's annoying is that the SRM test recovery plan reports a success even though I'm left with a bunch of SNAP-datastores hanging around.

If we use the Recoverpoint ID created specifically for SRM and manually delete the snapshot LUNS it works fine.

I've downloaded the very latest SRA from the vmware site and am using SRM 1.0.1

If someone doesn't have anything else to do, take a quick look at my log file to see if you can understand where it's all going wrong.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey Stuart,

The only this i see which may be relevant to what you are observing are the following entries in the logs:

Wed May 13 15:58:07 BST 2009 INFO: Starting to run: Test Failover command with false action on replica LUN list on storage array ID RecoverPoint-LS_RPC_02.

Wed May 13 15:58:07 BST 2009 FINE: Logic testFailoverStop called for luns:

Wed May 13 15:58:07 BST 2009 FINE: mapping the following luns wwn: to cg names

Wed May 13 15:58:10 BST 2009 FINE: trying to add already added cg, will ignore WDW0

Wed May 13 15:58:10 BST 2009 FINE: trying to add already added cg, will ignore WDW0

Wed May 13 15:58:10 BST 2009 FINE: mapLunsToGroupNames found the following groups:

Wed May 13 15:58:21 BST 2009 WARNING: testFailoverStop action: found different tag from the expected SRM tag, imply manual changes while running SRM actions. please revert those changes and run the test again

It suggests to me that perhaps the consistency group should contain an SRM tag, similar to the Clariion SRA which looks for SRM in name of the consistency group.

Unfortunately I don't have the RecoverPoint SRA document, so I can't really verify that this is a prerequisite. Can you rename WDW0 to SRM_WDW0 for a test?

Your quickest route to a resolution is to speak with EMC directly. This message is being generated by the SRA, which is software that EMC developed to make SRM work with the Recoverpoint product.

HTH

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

This is an excellent suggestion and I'll speak to the storage admins right now.

Thanks Cormac

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Nice idea on the SRM prefix, but sadly it didn't work.

Will be speaking to the EMC chaps next.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Update on my problem - just because I'm livid at the moment.

Raised a call with VMware - Answer, "You need to raise a call with EMC as it's their SRA"

This is fair enough and I'm happy to do that.

Raised a call with EMC - Answer "You need to raise a call with VMware since SRM is their product"

Perfect......

The extact same thing happened a couple of weeks ago with an IBM implementation, come on guys lets see the storage partners and VMware working togther a bit more with SRM.

0 Kudos
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

i think that there was some misunderstanding ..

EMC are responsible for the SRA's..when you raise a call, make sure to say it's an issue with the SRA..

Itzik Reich

Solutions Architect

VCP,VTSP,MCTS,MCITP,MCSE,CCA,CCNA

EMC²

where Information Lives

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Itzik Reich
0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Stuart,

I've just pinged some contacts at EMC and given them a heads up about your issue.

Can you paste in the Service Request numbers from both support organizations, and i'll start the ball rolling within VMware.

We (VMware) have an escalation path into EMC for these types of issues.

I'm sorry you're being given the run around - we'll sort it asap.

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for following this up Cormac.

Since I've made a fuss and called in a few favours, we seem to be moving in the right direction.

Once we find a resolution I'll be sure to post it here.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

We have a result!

After much testing and speaking to various helpful employees of both VMware and EMC it appears to be a rights issue.

To ensure you can create and remove snapshots using the Recoverpoint SRA, the admin account created needs the following permissions:

Group Configuration, Data Transfer, Target Image, Failover

We only had target image and failover which would allow the creation of snapshots, but not the automatic removal during failback (even though you could manually remove them from the Recoverpoint GUI with the same account).

Thanks to everyone who offered their help with this

0 Kudos