VMware Cloud Community
Pinred
Contributor
Contributor

Use same ESX as production and DR

Hi all,

I want to implement SRM solution, but my environment is is particular:

• two sites connected via dark-fiber;

• each site have the same storage EMC, one is the primary and the other is a mirrored copy;

• each site have ESX server, all active in the same farm and all of these use the storge of the primary site;

For implement the SRM, I want put a vCenter server in the second site and if is possible, implement a script that in case of disaster deregister some ESX from primary site and register this in the DR farm.

Is this possible?

Thanks to all

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That is what SRM will do fore you -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Pinred
Contributor
Contributor

I have not been properly explained.

We have a DR storage but not DR esx server in DR site.

So we want put a vCenter server in DR without ESX, and the first step of DR plane is a script for deregisterer ESX of primary site from production farm, and than register this server in DR farm.

This is not a regular DR, but now we don't have a budget for buy new esx server in DR.

Thanks

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

In my view a DR site is used after a catastrophic disaster like the oprimary datacenter is no longer available along with the ESX Servers that were located there - so there would be no ESX Server to deregister - what are you looking at protecting yourself form in this scenario? SRM is designed to site on top of a SAN replication technology and manage to manage the replication of a VI environment form a primary datacenter to DR datacenter - and when the primary datacenter is lost to bring the VI infrastructure up on the DR ESX Servers in the DR Site -

0 Kudos