VMware Cloud Community
theobn
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading SRM 4.1 after i have upgraded to vcenter 5.1

Hi,

I hope you can help as I can’t find any information on the subject.

Is it possible to jump from vcenter 4.1 to 5.1 if you use SRM 4.1 in your environment?

There is a direct upgrade path from vcenter 4.1 to 5.1, which i have taken.

I was aware that there was not a direct upgrade path from SRM 4.1 to 5.1 and that you have to upgrade to 5.0 first.

I was aware that  SRM 5 wasn't supported to run on vcenter 5.1 but thought you would at least be able to install SRM 5 in order to then upgrade it to version 5.1 afterwards? (to make it compatible)

Is this possible or is this scenario not supported?

Would the only way of upgrading have been  to upgrade vcenter to 5.0, then SRM to 5.0, then vcenter to 5.1 and finally SRM to 5.1??

The error I get is in the first step of installing SRM 5 - connecting to the vcenter server on port 80.

Thanks for clarifying,

David

0 Kudos
2 Replies
stuartclements
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

I am afraid that you are correct - you have to upgrade SRM 4.1.x to 5.0.x before you can upgrade to SRM 5.1. When you run the SRM installer (for installation or upgrade) you must connect it with a vCenter Server instance of the same version. So, if you have already upgraded vCenter Server to 5.1, when you attempt to upgrade SRM 4.1.x to 5.0.x, the SRM 5.0.x installer will not allow you to connect to that vCenter Server instance as the version does not match.

I will clarify this in the next update of the SRM 5.1 upgrade documentation.

Best regards,

Stuart

SRM docs

theobn
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Thanks for the quick reply.

I have been busy rebuilding SRM since I saw your reply!

Almost finished but recovered VM’s won’t startup – I might post details on here if I can’t fix it.

Thanks again,

David

0 Kudos