VMware Cloud Community
BobbyTPI
Contributor
Contributor

Update DB Credentials in SRM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to update the DB credentials for an SRM database? I had to move the SRM database to a new SQL Server, so I detached it from the old SQL server and attached it to the new server. I updated the DSN on the SRM server (not the same server as VC). But the SRM service fails to start and when I generate logs I get the following: (note the username should NOT be "vmware" anymore, and the DSN is updated and successfully connects)

-

Log for VMware Site Recovery Manager, pid=236, version=1.0.1, build=build-128004, option=Release, section=2

Failed to create console writer

Set dump dir to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\DumpFiles'

Intializing the DBManager

Connection: Could not connect to database: -1

DBManager error: Could not initialize Vdb connection: ODBC error: (28000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'vmware'.

Application initialization error: Could not initialize Vdb connection: ODBC error: (28000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'vmware'.

vmware-dr service stopped

-

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I believe the command that you are looking for is installcreds.exe.

Take a look at KB article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008426 - this has an example of how to use the command, but it is not the exact same scenario that you are encountering.

HTH

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com
0 Kudos
BobbyTPI
Contributor
Contributor

Well I logged a case with VMware Support and we worked for about half an hour trying to resolve this. Vmware Support lost their network during our call so the call dropped. I managed to figure it out myself after that.

The problem was that the database user needed "sysadmin" role on the SQL server. Once I enabled that, I used installcreds.exe and srm-config.exe to update the credentials (as well as the DSN). Now it all works a treat again.

For more detail:

1. Database user has "sysadmin" role on the SQL server, as well as db_owner on the SRM database (we have a schema called "vmware" that is also owned by the database user)

2. Used the command "installcreds.exe -key db:<dsn_name> -u <userID>

3. Used the command "srm-config.exe -cmd updateuser -cfg ..\config\vmware-dr.xml -u <userID>"

4. Updated the DSN (ODBC Connection) with appropriate credentials

5. Started the SRM Service

0 Kudos