VMware Cloud Community
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Unconfigured vm prevents recovery of configured vms?

I'm attempting to test a recover plan. There is an issue with one of the vms on the datastore. It has a drive attached from a non replicated volume.

When I run the plan it logs the error below for all active steps after "Suspend Non-critical VMs at Recovery Site".

Error - Virtual machines "VM name" that
are not protected by this protection group use datastores "Volume Name"
that are in this protection group.

I understand that I can't protect that particular vm. The question is whether it will prevent other vms from being recovered or is something else going on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kwerneburg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have a datastore in a protection group then *all* VMs on that datastore must be configured for protection otherwise it will not succeed. 

I.e. if it's not protected SRM isn't aware of it, can't shut it down, and thereby won't be able to unmount the datastore, etc.

| @vmKen | VMware Technical Marketing |

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It appears that having one vm with an issue can make the rest of the vms to fail to register!

Doesn't seem to me that is the way it should work.

0 Kudos
pshterev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

What kind of replication do you use - HBR, ABR ? What is the version of SRM ?

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ABR

SRM 5.02

0 Kudos
kwerneburg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have a datastore in a protection group then *all* VMs on that datastore must be configured for protection otherwise it will not succeed. 

I.e. if it's not protected SRM isn't aware of it, can't shut it down, and thereby won't be able to unmount the datastore, etc.

| @vmKen | VMware Technical Marketing |
0 Kudos