VMware Cloud Community
RLsh
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to protect VMs

Hi,

I exprience some strange behavior from the SRM Protection group,

when i try to protect VM, placeholder VM is created but the "Protect VM" task fails with timeout error and VM in the protection group is "Not Configured".

We use vCenter 4.0.1 and SRM 4.0.1 running on Windows 2008 64bit (separate VMs)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Aplogies if this seems like a silly request, but can you verify that all your inventory mappings are setup correctly.

HTH

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com
0 Kudos
RLsh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Cormac

The inventory mappings are ok..

The placeholder vm is created, and looks ok.

Somehow the Protection site cannot understand that the task of "Create VM" (placeholder) is finished, and then we got the timeout.

0 Kudos
CHogan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does this happen with all Virtual Machines or only a subset of VMs? If only a subset, is anything unique about these VMs? Can you try with a different VM?

Does this happen with all placeholder storage on the recovery site or only a subset of the placeholder storage? If only a subset, is anything unique about this storage? Can you try with different storage?

How many ESX servers are on the recovery site? If more than one, are they in a DRS cluster? Is the placeholder storage at the recovery site shared to all ESX servers? Can you make sure DRS is enabled and all hosts share the placeholder storage at the recovery site.

Are there any communication problems between the protected & recovery sites? Can you successfully login to both sites?

When establishing connectivity between the SRM sites, did you use the domainname\username or just the username? We've had some strange issues in the past when just the username was used. Break connectivity between the sites and remake it with the domainname\username login.

If none of the above is helpful, can you capture a snippet of logs from SRM on both the protected and recovery sites for the timeframe in questions and paste them to the forum.

Cormac

http://cormachogan.com
0 Kudos
tecmc
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently experienced the same issue though I suspect mine is a unique case, I will share to assist in troubleshooting. I've found that I had a host with HBA issues, no SCSI issues being logged but as soon as I pulled it out of the recovery cluster my issues protecting VMs ceased to exist. I later had the problematic host purple screen, replacing the HBA cleared all issues.

0 Kudos
RLsh
Contributor
Contributor

First of all thanks for the replay.

The problem solved..

Sorry if its sound stupid problem or solution.. but I will share it anyway..

I re-install (repair) the SRM servers, because I need to change the user that I inserted during the installation,

It turns out that after this you have to restart your SRM servers!

or else, you'll get the strange issue like I suffered from, when you want to protect VM..

Thanks for your time Cormac

0 Kudos