VMware Cloud Community
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to create placeholder virtual at recovery site

Hi, I need some urgent help to configure SRM. When creating a protection group and choosing the place holder LUN (non-replicated) the message

"Unable to create placeholder virtual machine at the recovery site" is generated for each VM.

SRM has Administrator permissions at both sites - why are the placeholder VMs not getting created - is this a permission issue and how is this overcome?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

and also create alarm for monitir the recovery site resouce utilization  on the  both site.

Regards Manic

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have you tried just creating a VM on the VMFS volume to ensure you can create a VM on it?

Thanks

Dougie

0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

can you get the hostd.log file on the recovery site esx host where it try to create place holder VM?

and also can you attach the screen shot of error message?

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All, thanks for the feedback, though I have managed to resolve the problem. To be honest I don't know the cause, but the fix included restarting all VMware services, repairing the SRM install, re-doing the site pair, array (after rescan) and then the protection group worked....

However, I do have one further question when SRM is implemented does it have an impact on HA? What I mean is that at the recovery site if HA is enabled then does the configuration take into account the possibility of hosting VMs to be failed over to the site - in other words there are less resources available to the VMs operating at the reocvery site?

0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes If you mapped cluster at recovery site.You need to ensure the enough resouce available at the recovery site for failover always.

Regards Manic
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for that just what I wanted to know - do you know whether there is any vmware paper that describes impact to resources in more detail as I cannot find any detail on this in the VMware SRM admin guide

0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There is no seperate resource guide for SRM

If you are planning to use SRM bidirectional and load VMs evenly across each site (It is not exactly possoble as it depends on individual VMs utilization ) plan to free up 50% resouce on Protected/recovery site clusters and also include shutdown steps for non production vitual machine in the recovery plan.

Regards

Manick

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

and also create alarm for monitir the recovery site resouce utilization  on the  both site.

Regards Manic
0 Kudos