VMware Cloud Community
vikrant_singh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to Install SRA on SRM 4.1 - EMCSRDFSRA_2.2.0.3

hi,

I successfully installed SRM 4.1 on Protected and Recovery site and done successful pairing. When installing SRA for EMC ((EMCSRDFSRA_2.2.0.3), it throws error that Solution Enabler should be running version 7.0 or higher. Where do I run the solution enabler ? I have gone through whole lot of documentation but no help. if someone could provide the details on Architecture, would be great.

Regards,

VS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hosterman_cody
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Solutions Enabler can be downloaded from powerlink.emc.com. Your storage team should have it though as it is required to manage your Symmetrix array(s)

The SRA requires access to a Solutions Enabler install that has gatekeeper presented to it. All management commands to the Symmetrix ultimately have to be issued in-band to these Gatekeeper devices which are presented to the Solutions Enabler host just like any typical device (for example over fibre channel HBAs). That being said, clients can access that SE installation over the TCP/IP network to indirectly manage the Symmetrix by enabling a daemon in SE and turning that SE installation into a SE API server. The client (in your case the SRDF SRA) will issue array management API calls over the TCP/IP network to the SE API server which will then send them to the Symmetrix via issuing the commands directly to its local gatekeepers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hosterman_cody
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to install Solutions Enabler (SE) locally to the SRM server before the SRA can install because the SRDF SRA requires the binaries included in SE. Beyond that the SRA also needs management access to the array so Symmetrix Gatekeepers (small devices) need to be presented to Solutions Enabler. You can either present them locally to the Solutions Enabler install on the SRM server or present them to another SE host and connect the SRA to it over IP. Refer to the SE install guide for more details on that. Either way you still need to install SE locally.

This is discussed in the Install and Config chapter in the techbook if you need more details on the whole process.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/technical-documentation/h7061-srdf-adapter-vcenter-srm.pdf

0 Kudos
vikrant_singh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick help. Could you please advise how can I download the Solution Enabler? I tried on EMC site but no help. Is there any restrictions on it's download or freely available?

When you say SRA would need access to Symmetrix Gatekeeper, then how do we connect to them? Using IP address or WWPNs?

Regards,

VS

0 Kudos
hosterman_cody
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Solutions Enabler can be downloaded from powerlink.emc.com. Your storage team should have it though as it is required to manage your Symmetrix array(s)

The SRA requires access to a Solutions Enabler install that has gatekeeper presented to it. All management commands to the Symmetrix ultimately have to be issued in-band to these Gatekeeper devices which are presented to the Solutions Enabler host just like any typical device (for example over fibre channel HBAs). That being said, clients can access that SE installation over the TCP/IP network to indirectly manage the Symmetrix by enabling a daemon in SE and turning that SE installation into a SE API server. The client (in your case the SRDF SRA) will issue array management API calls over the TCP/IP network to the SE API server which will then send them to the Symmetrix via issuing the commands directly to its local gatekeepers.

0 Kudos