VMware Cloud Community
dtsmith62
Contributor
Contributor

Thoughts on recover plan sizes

This is probably one of those questions without a single answer. Just wondering how people are breaking out their recovery plans and protection groups. We have about 150 VMs on about 50 400GB datastores.  This is a newly completed installation with EMC recoverpoint. The sorage team just got all the consistency groups created and we are ready to go to the next step with SRM.

I am thinking about making at least one seperate recovery plan for the production SQL server VM. It is about 8 TB with about 30 databases. The question I have is; Put all the rest of the VMs in one big recovery plan?

If there is anyone out there who has lived through a real DR, or a realistic test I would especially like to hear what they think but all comments are welcome. Can a recovery plan be too big? Seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.  I know in some caess there would be considerations from an applications standpoint.  I am engaing the application engineers to get their input but just curious what others experiences are....

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i would group one set of application in a recovery plan, that would allow the right sequence of boot up to ensure that the DB and etc are up before the app and the web ..

AureusStone
Expert
Expert

If you have a requirement to restore individual applications I would create separate recovery plans, otherwise there is no point.  I presume your applications depend on SQL?  In that case just mark your SQL servers as high priority recovery and ensure all your dependencies are worked out in your recovery plan.

I have four plans. Cluster 1 Production, Cluster 2 Production, Cluster 1 Dev and Cluster 2 Dev.