VMware Cloud Community
vWhere09
Contributor
Contributor

Testing VMware sote Recovery Manager

Hi All,

I want to test the VMware site recovery manager the infrastructure that I have in my lab is as follows:

6 Dell 2950 Server

1 Layer 3 Switch – Configured VLAN into it IP: 157.227.25.0 & 10.10.11.0. Routing is configured between both of the VLAN.

1 NetApp FAS 2050 storage box. Configured vfiler on NetApp FAS. Both filer and vfiler are on the same subnet (filer is SAN box/ vfiler is virtual SAN)

Configuration that I have done so far

have installed ESX 4.0 on 3 Dell 2950 server

installed and configured VC server on a virtual machine

installed and configured connection server on a virtual machine

installed and configured VMware DR on a virtual machine

Storage provisioning: For storage I am using iSCSI only

Storage for Virtual Machines is on iSCSI LUN from the SAN box.

Now I want to test the VMware site recovery manager, just wanted to know that

Do I have the sufficient infrastructure to test the same?

What would be the scenario to test the site recovery manager?

Thanks for you support

regards,

v

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You will need two vCenter servers - one for the primary site and one for the protected site - I do not know if you can do this you will need to set up replication between the two SANs - this is critical

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vWhere09
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

the replication between the SAN needs to be provided by the storage vendor software or we need to configure with VMware site recovery manager.

i have attached a JPEG file with the view of the architecture i have in my mind ... would be great i u can check and provide feedback .. moreover i m not sure which subnet i need to place VMware site recovery manager

0 Kudos
vWhere09
Contributor
Contributor

NetApp SnapMirror software is a DR solution between two SAN boxes .... where we can establish a asynchronous relationship between volumes of source and destination .....

what i can do is like i can establish a relationship between the volume1 on primary SAN (volume1 is acting as storage for all my virtual machines) to volume2 on secondary(DR) SAN... doing this entire data from volume1 will be tranferred to volume2 .... then the question comes what would VMware site recovery manager will do in this case... would it register and start all VM's which are hosted on my primary site.....

regards,

v

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

high level description of how SRM works - At it its base is a the SAN provided replication technology which replicates the VMFS/NFS datstores from the primary site to the secondary site. At each site you will have a VC server and SRM server which can run on the same machine. In the SRM server there is a piece of software called the Site Recovery Adapter (SRA) that interfaces with the SANs identifying which datastores are being replicated and identifying the VMs that can be protected.

In the event of a failover (or even a DR test) SRM, through the SRA, will activate the replicated LUN nad begin starting the VMs that are protected -

Some of the cool things SRM provides for:

• You can test your DR plans any time because you failover to completely isolated virtual network at your recovery site

• You can have a HOT/HOT site configuration - SRM will shut down un-needed VMs at the recovery site

• You can create multiple DR plans based upon the type of falure event -