VMware Cloud Community
zatara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage Appliance For VMware Workstation that supports Site Recovery Manager

Hi,

Does anyone know of a free Storage Appliance For VMware Workstation that supports SRM so I can run it in my lab and set it up just like I would in an enterprise environment? One where you set up an SRA and the whole product?

I've been searching and can't find one. I've seen a couple from Dell and NetApp, but they're only demos and not long term solutions. 

Just to throw this in, I know some companies give perks if you have a valid VCP, like Veeam. Are there any that would do the same with a storage appliance for just a lab if you have the VCP-2020?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@zatara 

Moderator: Moved to SRM Discussions - you're more likely to get an answer here than in the Workstation area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
zatara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank You @scott28tt 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@zatara 

Back in the days when I taught SRM classes, I used the HP LeftHand Virtual SAN Appliance to build a fully-nested vSphere and SRM environment with replicated storage - that was about 10 years ago though, not sure if it's still available.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
zatara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@scott28tt - Thank You, I will investigate tomorrow and see if it's available. I will report back. 🙂

I'm also going to contact NetApp and see if they'll let me have a full version of their Storage Appliance for just a lab environment. But I don't have high expectations. 

Cheers.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@zatara 

A quick Google search returned these which may also help:

https://theithollow.com/2012/05/03/poor-mans-srm-lab-whitebox/

https://vmmasterblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/29/part-1-introduction-to-srm/

https://www.flackbox.com/vmware-srm-site-recovery-manager-netapp-snapmirror-lab-guide

Plenty of reading for you there!

0 Kudos
zatara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@scott28tt Thank you for the extra links. I will have to read them, I haven't yet. 

I looked into the HP appliance, and unfortunately, it apparently caps at 1 TB for the free version. I was hoping to find something that will support SRM with no restrictions. 

I'll explore your other links. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos