VMware Cloud Community
pstover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Single VM single datastore recovery plan realistic test

I am using Nutanix SRA for array based replication with SRM.  I have done a test recovery plan run with snapshot clone of the volumes at the DR site OK.  However I want to verify the breaking of replication also which would be used with a full recovery plan run.  Would a single VM in a single datastore recovery plan accomplish this (run the recovery plan and verify replication is broken and DR site comes up read-write and VM is powered on)...without affecting the other replicated volumes/protected VMs?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jameseydoyle
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which version of SRM? I assume you are using one of the latest versions?

If so, once the Planned Failover of the Recovery Plan has been executed, you should run the Reprotect workflow. This will configure replication and protection in the reverse direction. You can then fail back to the original site, where you can run the Reprotect again and everything will be back to how you started.

This would be a useful thing to test as you will probably want to this in the case of full-scale disaster recovery or Planned Migration.

Otherwise, you will have to remove the recovery plan and protection groups before you delete the VM. SRM will be tracking the VM due to its protection status and if it suddently just disappears, it can cause issues in the SRM DB.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jameseydoyle
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That would be fine as long as the protection group contains only the one volume. Then create the recovery plan with this protection group and you can safely fail it over without impacting any other volumes.

0 Kudos
pstover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes that is what I will have, 1 volume with 1 VM.  Thank you.  As far as cleanup goes, I will shut down the VM, remove it from inventory, unmounts the datastore, remove from the hosts, and then re-enable replication primary -> DR. 

0 Kudos
jameseydoyle
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which version of SRM? I assume you are using one of the latest versions?

If so, once the Planned Failover of the Recovery Plan has been executed, you should run the Reprotect workflow. This will configure replication and protection in the reverse direction. You can then fail back to the original site, where you can run the Reprotect again and everything will be back to how you started.

This would be a useful thing to test as you will probably want to this in the case of full-scale disaster recovery or Planned Migration.

Otherwise, you will have to remove the recovery plan and protection groups before you delete the VM. SRM will be tracking the VM due to its protection status and if it suddently just disappears, it can cause issues in the SRM DB.

pstover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

6.1.1 of SRM which I believe has the reprotect.

0 Kudos