VMware Cloud Community
Squirrelly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shutting SRM Appliances Down - In which order?

I have SRM running on Windows 2008 R2 with Microsoft SQL, the VRMS, VR and vcenter server appliances.   In which order do I shut these down?   Last time I tried, I broke everything.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As the poster says you need to think about dependancies,

every thing has a dependancy on SQL therefore that needs to be shutdown last,  next everything has a  dendancy on vCenter. then Virtual replication needs vCenter and VRMS needs VR finally SRM needs both vCenter and VR for datastore replication.

so the logical order for shut down would be SRM - VRMS - VR - vCenter - SQL (Assuming seperate SQL database and instances)

to bring up the reverse is true,  SQL - vCenter - VR - VRMS - SRM

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I can't offer a recommendation, having no experience with vSphere replication, I'd like to hear some insight on this.  It might be usefull to give a more thorough description of your previous shutdown attempt(s), as well as details on the errors following.

Good luck!

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You should think dependencies. I am not too familiar with VR but I am pretty sure it will follow the same steps as any other app with dependencies.

For example vCenter depends on SQL (given that vCenter DB is on a separate SQL server), so it will make sense to shutdown the vCenter first and then SQL. I am not sure why you would shut them down, but I'll assume you have a good reason. The import part is how you bring them back up. In this example you will want to bring SQL up first then vCenter otherwise vCenter will be looking for the DB while this is down and won't be very happy.

Based on this I would think that the right order would be the following:

1- SRM

2- VRMS

3- VR

4- vCenter

5- SQL

Then, bring them up in the reverse order:

1- SQL

2- vCenter

3- VR

4- VRMS

5- SRM

If you are using vDS. Then that is something you need to address before bringing the appliances back up. If using vDS and vCenter is down, then vCenter won't be able to talk to SQL and vDS will never come up.

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As the poster says you need to think about dependancies,

every thing has a dependancy on SQL therefore that needs to be shutdown last,  next everything has a  dendancy on vCenter. then Virtual replication needs vCenter and VRMS needs VR finally SRM needs both vCenter and VR for datastore replication.

so the logical order for shut down would be SRM - VRMS - VR - vCenter - SQL (Assuming seperate SQL database and instances)

to bring up the reverse is true,  SQL - vCenter - VR - VRMS - SRM

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos