VMware Cloud Community
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM5 Test networking

Running SRM 5, when you run a test of a recovery plan and the plan completes should you be able to ping the other servers and communicate with them or does the test network isolate everything at the NIC level.  I was hoping since they were in the same switch they communicate.              

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

by default, during test SRM creates standard switch (without uplinks) and connects VMs to it. This means that VMs running on the same ESX host can communicate with each other and they cannot contact with any other servers.

You can also create isolated network for test purposes and select test portgroups in Recovery Plan settings.

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When running an SRM test the network in the recovery site is isolatted so that there will be no conflicts with the machines still in production -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But can i log onto the VM's at the recovery site and have them talk to each other? I understand the network is isolated from production.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - Connect to vCenter server in the recovery site and access the recovery VMs that way

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

by default, during test SRM creates standard switch (without uplinks) and connects VMs to it. This means that VMs running on the same ESX host can communicate with each other and they cannot contact with any other servers.

You can also create isolated network for test purposes and select test portgroups in Recovery Plan settings.

Michael.

0 Kudos
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer,I was missing the fact they can not ping to a VM on a different host even thought the hosts are in a cluster.

0 Kudos