VMware Cloud Community
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SRM with vSphere Replication + Multiple vCenters

I'm currently designing an SRM implementation that will use vSphere Replication.  There are 2 separate vCenter instances in each site - one that runs the management VMs and one that looks after end user/client VMs.  The vCenter with the client VMs in is the one I want to protect.

My question in, do I have to run the SRM and vSphere Replication Mgmt Servers (VMs) under the management of the vCenter to be protected, or can I run them in the management vCenter?  I assume I will definitely need to put the vSphere Replication servers in the protected/recovery vCenters but want to be sure there's no requirement for SRM or VRMS to run there as well.

Thanks,

Doug.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

You can as long as the management vCenter and the client vm's vCenter are in a linked mode configuration and the SRM server and Replication manager servers are connected to the client vm's vCenter.

Is there a reason you decided on vSphere repliaction rather than SRA's out of interest? As the usage of SRA's would negate your "problem".

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is my understanding that in this case you could run SRM in either vCenter, but you have to tell SRM to protect your VM vCenter and then the target vCenter, whatever that may be.

0 Kudos