VMware Cloud Community
ok7827125
Contributor
Contributor

SRM with two SRA simultanously

We have an environment on vSphere 6.0 and configured on HP SAN arrays.we are going to implement SRM with two SRA which is work simultanously. We have got 2 questions

firstly, If we want to run SRM with 2 SRA, is it possible or not? one SRa should gather data from EVA 8400 and the second should connect to 3PAR storage. what is your recommendation?

second question is that If there are several virtual machines that their disks (VMDKs) stored on different SAN, could be managed via the SRM to recover these virtual machines?

could you share us the best recommendation for Storage array replication methods and your applied experiences.

multi-vmdks.png

3 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

1. Yes, SRM supports running multiple SRAs

2. To use Array-based Replication all disks for a VM need to be on the same array and within the same consistency group

Best practices and recommendations are in the SRM documentation

ok7827125
Contributor
Contributor

Thankfully, in the above senari, do I need to install just one SRM server in every site or it is necessary to implement two SRM server?

Also, if we want to use vSphere replication, Do I need to see all disks on the same SAN array or it is possible to recover virtual machines whose disks placed in the various arrays?

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

One SRM server on each site supports Multiple SRA's .. communication with multiple arrays for failover.

For vSphere replication  there is no such dependency of all disks on same array..

However, do you actually need to run a VM from between 2 different arrays.

If you are using VR to replicate from one array i production (example EMC) to another array in DR(example netapp) then you can do it.. no issues.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/