VMware Cloud Community
cemdur
Contributor
Contributor

SRM with celerra ns40

when i try to configure srm i get an error " Invalid XML returned from storage array management script: Failed to get attribute 'id' for node 'Array' . we are using celerra ns40 .

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You might get a better answer from powerlink forum. in case you do not have powerlink account here are the bits to a thread that seems like you issue;

Question :"When I try to query the array for LUNs I get the following error:

Invalid XML returned from storage array management script: Failed to get attribute 'id' for node 'Array'

I have tried both SRA 1.0 and 1.1 with SRM 1.0 and 1.01. All with the same result. Same result on both sides (production and DR) against both Celerra NS20 arrays. DART code is 5.6.40-3."

Answer(maybe): "Yes, it is resolved. The problem was due to changing the hostname on

the Celerra. When you change the hostname you need to use the -update

option on nas_cel. For example:

$ nas_cel -list

id name owner mount_dev channel net_path CMU

0 emcnas_i0 0 128.221.252.100 APM0008380189800 00

4 ns20-prod 0 192.168.1.70 APM0008380190300 00

$

Notice

the hostname in the prompt is different from id0. After running

"nas_cel -update id=0" it is now correct and the SRA works as it should."

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Did you get the issue resolved - as pointed out by the earlier post - if you have had issues with the Celerra SRA while following the guidelines for setting up SRM - it is likely that there is some type of misconfiguration on the Celerra

In my expereince the Celerra SRA is the easiest to set up and get working

Please let me know if this is still not working

Regards

Alex Tanner

0 Kudos
cemdur
Contributor
Contributor

i did perform "nas_cel -update id=0" but it is still not working.

0 Kudos
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Can you please confirm that you have followed the sequence of steps to configure the environment

Created a file system - with sufficent space for the iSCSI snapshots used by SRM (this needs to be several times the size of the iSCSI LUN if you have not set the global paramter to use sparse Temporary Writeable Snaps)

Do the same for the Recovery side

Create an iSCSI LUN in that filesystem attatched to an iSCSI taget that the Production hosts VMkernel (or VMkernel and Service Console in the case of a COS install) can see

Do the same for the Recovery Side but ensure that the iSCSI LUN is created Read-Only and attatched to an iSCSI taget that the Recovery hosts VMkernel (or VMkernel and Service Console in the case of a COS install) can see

Set up the nas_cel relationship between the two Celerras

Set up the InterConnects between the two celerras and ensure that it can be validated

Set up replication between the 2 iSCSI LUNs with the production R/W iSCSI LUN as the source and the Read-Only Recovery Site iSCSI LUN as the target

Ensure that the replication is working properly

Mask the Production Side ESX hosts to see the Production Site iSCSI LUN

Mask the Recovery Side ESX hosts to see the Recovery Site iSCSI LUN

Create a VMFS partition on the iSCSI Volume and create a VM witthin the Production Site iSCSI volume

You should now be in a position to go into SRM, and configure the Arrays once communication has been established and validated between the Productuion Site VC and the Recovery Site VC

In the Array Configuration Wizard - which configuration screen is giving you the error?

The Celerra SRA directory - in <SRM Install Directory>\Scripts\SAN\celera\logs should also provide some error information

I would also run Putty against the Celerra control stations from the SRM hosts to validate that they can easily see and communicate with the Control stations

Further detail and instructions can be found here

Regards

Alex Tanner