VMware Cloud Community
ranga1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM with Lefthand VSA 8.0.00 (Evaluvation)

Hi

I have set up SRM using lefthand 8.0.00 (evaluation copy) but when i try to test a recovery plan i get the following errors.

2. Prepare Storage

Error: Non-fatal error information reported during execution of array integration script: failover Output: "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\/scripts/SAN/LeftHand Networks/jre/bin/java" -cp "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\/scripts/SAN/LeftHand Networks/UI.jar" com.lefthandnetworks.commandline.Srm.Srm < "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\/scripts/SAN/LeftHand Networks/XMLinput.xml""NOTE: Had this been a test failover start or a test failover stop the writable space on snapshot named "protecte_volume_Sch_RS_1_Rmt.4" would have been deleted, continuing...CHANGE: The remote parent volume named "replicated_volume" was changed to a primary volume, continuing...ERROR: Failover operation not allowed because managed snapshots are not licensed, license key needed Error: .

00:00:07

2.1. Attach Disks for Protection Group "Test Recovery Group"

Error: Non-fatal error information reported during execution of array integration script: failover Output: "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\/scripts/SAN/LeftHand Networks/jre/bin/java" -cp "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\/scripts/SAN/LeftHand Networks/UI.jar" com.lefthandnetworks.commandline.Srm.Srm < "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\/scripts/SAN/LeftHand Networks/XMLinput.xml""NOTE: Had this been a test failover start or a test failover stop the writable space on snapshot named "protecte_volume_Sch_RS_1_Rmt.4" would have been deleted, continuing...CHANGE: The remote parent volume named "replicated_volume" was changed to a primary volume, continuing...ERROR: Failover operation not allowed because managed snapshots are not licensed, license key needed Error: .

When i looked in the CMC i can see this message under feature registration "Not Licensed for Remote Copy (in violation for volume or snapshot .... ....)". I'm guessing the errors i get when testing is due to this feature not being available or have i done some thing else wrong?

Has anyone tested SRM with lefthand 8.0.00 (evaluation copy) successfully?

Thank you

Ranga

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I was doing demo using lefthand and faced similar issue. It looks like this error has surfaced after HP took over LeftHand:) . What I have read is people have success with older version of Left Hand.

PS: I completed my demo using NetApp SIM.

Thanks,

Funtoosh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I was doing demo using lefthand and faced similar issue. It looks like this error has surfaced after HP took over LeftHand:) . What I have read is people have success with older version of Left Hand.

PS: I completed my demo using NetApp SIM.

Thanks,

Funtoosh

0 Kudos
ranga1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks ill give net apps a go:D

0 Kudos
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

I am writing this as an EMC employee

For completeness - if you are looking at testing SRM with some of the great Simulators out there - EMC has the Celerra simulator which offers you iSCSI / CIFs / NFS and is supported with SRM

You can run it happily on a reasonable ESX environment and it is supplied in OVF format for quick and easy deployment

My boss posted an update about (see link above) - which is a useful blog to be aware of anyway - Chad knows his stuff and was recently elevated to a VMware vExpert

Have a look - the whole procedure is documented in terms of Celerra VSA and SRM setup in a manual with lots of screenshots

Many thanks

Alex Tanner

Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

>> Has anyone tested SRM with lefthand 8.0.00 (evaluation copy) successfully?

Yeah, Ive used Lefthand 8.x and SRM 1.01. I've noted that if I happen to be undertaking some kind of test (something unusual such as substituting all new physical servers into the mix as ESX hosts in the SRM testing) I may have to re-create all the LeftHand remote snapshots after giving the new ESX hosts access to the correct LeftHand LUNs. The real confusing part is that I don't see a problem until running the Recovery Plan in test mode and it doesn't work -- the Array Manager and the Protection Groups are looking good within SRM but the actual Recovery Plan test won't ever get past the "Attach Disks for Protection Group" step. Once I figured out that I had to re-do the snapshots and replication when the new ESX hosts came into the picture, the Recovery Plan tests then proceed ahead past the Attach Disks for Protection Group step and usually finish the test successfully.

So if your tests are stopping with the error you listed at the point where the test is at Attach Disks for Protection Group", you may want to just kick off a new snapshot and a new replicated snapshot of your Lefthand LUNs and then re-run the Recovery Plan test. if your tests are completing correctly and you're just inquiring about the error that shows up in a Recovery Plan test, I think that licensing error is going to continue to exist in the SRM History display until a real Lefthand license is used.

Datto

0 Kudos
VirtualZelda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

In LeftHand Centralized Management Console:

- click on the Management Group

- click on the registration tab

- select the menu Registration -> Feature Registration...

- and check the option "I agree..." on the Scripting Evaluation tab.

Normally after it's ok.

0 Kudos
Igor_Nemilosti1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thx!

--

Igor Nemilostivy

-- Igor Nemilostivy
0 Kudos