VMware Cloud Community
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SRM will not start after upgrade to 5.1

I cannot get the SRM 5.1 plugin to download.  I get a server unavailable (503).  I checked vmware-dr-450.log and it seems a certificate problem.  I tried modifying the install and generating a new cert, or browsing and choosing my existing .p12 cert.

I'm not sure but It took me 3 days just to get vcenter components to work after the upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with all this certificate madness.  I am just left with broken Update Manager and SRM.  I have a ticket open with VMWare on Update Manager, but I'm curious if anyone here knows how to fix SRM?

None of the certificate automation tools or articles have any mention of generating the certs for SRM.

In the log file it says this:

2014-01-07T16:11:49.236-05:00 [06416 warning 'LocalVC' connID=vc-admin-19e4] Failed to connect: std::exception 'class Vmacore::Ssl::SSLVerifyException' "SSL Exception: Verification parameters:

--> PeerThumbprint: 08:B4:80:BB:99:93:FF:6A:1E:E3:3E:ED:89:57:1E:25:47:45:EE:65

--> ExpectedThumbprint:

--> ExpectedPeerName: drvcenter.mydomain.com

--> The remote host certificate has these problems:

-->

--> * A certificate in the host's chain is based on an untrusted root.

-->

--> * self signed certificate in certificate chain"

Inventory, LogBrowser, SSO, Vcenter and WebClient all work.  So now just trying to figure out this SRM here and hopefully VMWare support gets back to me on update manager.

I cloned this 2008 R2 vcenter 5.0 prior to upgrading it.  However I need to try to keep pushing forward and get 5.1 to work because I need it to manage a 5.1 esxi host I purchased a license for.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

Which 5.1 build you are using? There is a lot of known issue if you are going 5.1 GA as well SRM using with this.

Please try to use latest 5.1 update build as well SRM.

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am using VMware-srm-5.1.1-1290726.exe installer.

All the vCenter components were upgraded using the VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-1364042.iso

I was at 4.1 U3 and went to 5.0 with only some minor, resolvable quirks.  But going from 5.0 to 5.1 has been a very long, painstaking process.  I would of rather went from 5.0 to 5.5, but vmware doesn't have any SRA's comparable with my EMC Celerra NX4 SAN for SRM 5.5.  And a huge engineering oversight means you can't run SRM 5.0 or 5.1 on vCenter 5.5.  I think they should of at least made equal or lesser versions comparable.  So I will be capped out on 5.1 for the next few years (or unless an SRA is made available).

Sure the NX4 is an older storage array, but for just a backup site thats fine, it works no problem.  Why spend $60,000 to $100,000 on a new VNX for a backup site.  You don't need all that cost for something you hopefully will never even use.

0 Kudos