VMware Cloud Community
Adam_Granquist
Contributor
Contributor

SRM unable to connect to Clariion CX3 Array "Error executing discoverArrays Command"

I have 2 Clariion CX3-40 arrays which are replicated using MirrorView/S, 2x VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 2 servers and have SRM installed on these servers as well. Currently I am having some issues Configuring the Array Managers, I'm able to connect to both the primary and secondary arrays using the Recovery Site SRM installation but when I attempt to connect to the Primary array using the Protected Site SRM it gives me "Error executing discoverArrays Command". I am however able to connect to the secondary array. Given that that error is about as useful as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, I have attached the SRM log file which has some more interesting info in it that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

I have bolded what I think is causing the issue.

Cheers

Manager
external
perl-5.8.8
bin
perl.exe" "C:/Program Files/VMware/VMware Site Recovery Manager/scripts/SAN/MirrorView SRA/command.pl"

discoverArrays exited with exit code 0

discoverArrays's output:

MirrorViewSRACLI Start

MirrorViewSRACLI End

[003872][09/11 15:30:15 834][MirrorViewSRACoreUtilities.cpp@000930 InitLogging ] MirrorView SRA Version: 1.0.0.6

[003872][09/11 15:30:15 834][DiscoverArrays.cpp @000155 DiscoverArrays ] Enter

[003872][09/11 15:30:15 834][MirrorViewSRACoreUtilities.cpp@000007 InitStorAPI ] Enter

[003872][09/11 15:30:16 194][MirrorViewSRACoreUtilities.cpp@000135 InitStorAPI ] Exit. hr:0x0

[003872][09/11 15:30:16 194][MirrorViewSRACoreUtilities.cpp@000503 StoreCredentials ] Enter

[003872][09/11 15:30:16 241][MirrorViewSRACoreUtilities.cpp@000528 StoreCredentials ] StorAPI 'StorAccessCredentialsDefine' for '172.22.50.240' failed.

Error Details:

seq_id:8 status:2500000 error_msg:Invalid access credentials definition context_error_msg: sublib_id:2 sublib_error_code:5556 sublib_error_msg:Attempt to add a duplicate record to the password DB HRESULT:0xC00407D3

[003872][09/11 15:30:16 256][DiscoverArrays.cpp @000177 DiscoverArrays ] Exit. hr:0xc00407d3

'discoverArrays' returned <Response>

<ReturnCode>4</ReturnCode>

<ArrayList />

</Response>

Return code for discoverArrays: 4

The scripts returned an error, leaving the temporary file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vmware-SYSTEM\dr-sanprovider0'

Unknown error encountered by the script

Work function threw MethodFault: dr.san.fault.ArrayUnknownFault

Fault:

(dr.san.fault.ArrayUnknownFault) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

command = "discoverArrays",

msg = ""

}

Error set to (dr.san.fault.ArrayUnknownFault) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

command = "discoverArrays",

msg = ""

}

State set to error

Work function completed with error

Task created

Adding task StorageManager.DeleteArrayManager-3

State set to running

Scheduling work item

Running work method

Removing stored credentials associated with key='array:array-manager-110:CLARiiON'

Removing array-manager-110 from database

Persisting storage-manager-7 to database

Saving Storage Manager 'storage-manager-7' to DB object

Saved Storage Manager 'storage-manager-7' to DB object

Array Manager 'Check293100867mssdcx01' deleted

Work function completed successfully

State set to success

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there, I understand that the EMC SRDF will needs the "EMC Solution Enabler Software" installed to the SRM - Not sure, but this might be case with the Clarrions?

Have you read the pre-reqs in the EMC Doc

VMware Site Recovery Manager with EMC CLARiiON CX3 and MirrorView Implementation Guide

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/H5583-VMware_Site...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Adam,

as mike stated in his reply, definitely read the implementation guide for the Clariion SRA if you haven't already.

Usualy gotchas with the clariion setup are:

1. you installed the SRA Adapter at both sites but did not restart the SRM service (windows service that is), if you do not do this SRM will not "see" that the mirrorview SRA is even installed and you get an error as soon as you click the "Configure Array Managers" URL. So first check, restart the SRM service at both the protected and recovery sites once you have install SRM and the EMC adapter.

2. solutions enabler is NOT installed on the SRM servers (VMs) where the EMC SRA adapter resides. download and install latest version of solutions enabler at BOTH sites inside the SRM server.

3. in navisphere your primary images exist in more than one storage group the SRA adapter will not count them as valid datastores (this restriction has been lifted in the next release of the EMC adapter)

4. in navisphere your snapshot luns do not exist in the storage group, if you run a test plan when they are not in the storage group you will see "Failed to Create Snapshot LUN" errors

looking at the error messages in your log I would say that most of the above proably do not apply to you. it seems like you have solutions enabler installed as MirrorViewSRACLI is not logging any "module not found" errors, but it may be worth checking your solutions enabler version is up to date. they key error I would focus on is:

StorAPI 'StorAccessCredentialsDefine' for '172.22.50.240' failed.

1 Error Details:

1 seq_id:8 status:2500000 error_msg:Invalid access credentials definition context_error_msg: sublib_id:2 sublib_error_code:5556 sublib_error_msg:Attempt to add a duplicate record to the password DB HRESULT:0xC00407D3

1 00392000387209/11 15:30:16 256DiscoverArrays.cpp @000177 DiscoverArrays Exit. hr:0xc00407d3

at which step do you see your execution error? at the protected site if you launch the configure arrays wizard does it start? can you at least use the "Add..." button to add the protected side array? at this point you should be passing in the ipaddresses for SP-A and SP-B and also the valid admin account. the error in your log suggest that some credentials directed at ipaddress 172.22.50.240 are not valid? what username/password are you using in the array config wizard in SRM? the username / password should be one that is valid to login to the array management front end (navisphere/celerra manager/ecc whatever it is you use for manager the clariio)

I have attached a GIF that shows my mirrorview/S setup for SRM just so you can see how I have my storage group laid out.

hope this helps,

Lee Dilworth

Adam_Granquist
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I have followed VMware's install guide and also the EMC Internal document (H5583) to the letter, I have also uninstalled and reinstalled all the prerequisite software but still havent managed to correct the issue. Given that my recovery site server connects to the arrays without a problem and the protected site server will connect to the recovery site array, this issue really has me stumped. I have logged a support call with VMware so hopefully they will be able point me in the right direction. I will post the fix as soon as I have it.

0 Kudos
Adam_Granquist
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, VMware support has fixed my issue, the problem was the emcpwddb.dat file in the x:\Program Files\EMC\SYMAPI\config folder. It had become corrupted and thus was passing an incorrect password to the array, which obviously caused the script not to be able to issue the discoverArrays command. Aparently this is only an issue in version 1.0.0.6 of the MirrorView SRA.

The fix was just to rename that file and retry adding the array, a new file is created and all is working fine.

Cheers,

Adam.

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Good news Adam, so it was an authentication/credentials issue, its always good when error messages actually point you in the right direction, glad you got it working. I am sure others will hit this too so definitely one to remember.

cheers

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos