VMware Cloud Community
kurimargo
Contributor
Contributor

SRM together with stretched storage

Hi

Please, could someone explain me SRM behaviour with stretched storage?

I have 2 site test sandbox with 2 vCetners (6.5 U2), SRM (8.1) servers and ESXi (6.5 U2) clusters

Also I have stretched datastore (storage EMC VMAX 250F + witness in use) between those two sites.

In normal situation SRM works perfectly. All my VM-s in stretched datastore are protected with SRM and  I'm able to do planned migrations with those VM-s from one site to another.

But problem starts when I emulate  R1 storage failure (disable network links between witness and R1 storage) .

Storage subsystem works correctly during this test, it puts R1 storage (where my protected VM-s are) into "read only" mode and R2 continues to in work read/write mode. 

But at the same time SRM says that those VM-s protection is not configured anymore and I can't do orchestrated migration with SRM to another site.

It seems even logical, because VM-s are dynamically protected with Storage Policies and if VM parameters are not visible to vCenter anymore, SRM just unprotects it. But how it's possible i this case to use Storage Policies at all?

Please could someone confirm, is it normal SRM behaviour with stretched storage and Storage Policies or not?

BR,

margo

0 Kudos
0 Replies