VMware Cloud Community
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM test network issues - SRM not setting the VM's to reside in a defined "Test Network" during testing.

Has anyone seen an issue with SRm not successfully changing a VM's network during a test? We see the network change reporting back as successful in the test summary but in fact the VM is still in it's original network. We have also tried to set the VM's to come up in the "bubble" network(s) but that has also failed.

We are running 3.5 update 1 98103 ( update 2 still shows as not being SRM validated/supported). SRM is at version 1.0.0.866

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Has anyone seen an issue with SRm not successfully changing a VM's network during a test? We see the network change reporting back as successful in the test summary but in fact the VM is still in it's original network. We have also tried to set the VM's to come up in the "bubble" network(s) but that has also failed.

We are running 3.5 update 1 98103 ( update 2 still shows as not being SRM validated/supported). SRM is at version 1.0.0.866

Just to clarify something. When ever you run a "TEST" it always go to the Auto-Network/Bubble UNLESS you specify some other port group. The ONLY time it will definitely go to the port group is when you actually run a failover for REAL...

It doesn't sound like you getting either of these "if you do nothing this is the default behaviour"...

Can ask - have you configured the Inventory Mappings to tell SRM how to handle the networking of the recovery site?

i.e

Protected Site ==> Recovery Site

Portgroup vlan10 = Portgroup vlan51

Portgroup vlan20 = Portgroup vlan52

Portgroup vlan30 = Portgroup vlan53

Regards

Mike

ps the bubble network should just work. as long as you have accepted all the defaults....

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Mike,

Yes, we configured the inventory mappings and corresponding relationship in accordance to how you outlined.

Yeah, the bubble network won't work either with the default settings. Odd....

We had SRM running in our lab without issue. We are working with a customer and have a case open with VMWare.

FYI, I ommited that we are running VirtualCenter Server 2.5 Update 1

Thanks!

0 Kudos
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So here is the answer from VMware support...

Essentially the VM's that we are recovering are Linux servers and the E1000 Network driver does not allow for SRM to change the VNet.

This is a bug and the next release of SRM due out in the next few weeks will fix t his issue.

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's a new one to me. Is there a KB article referrence yet for this issue.

I take it you have a distro - which doesn't support vmxnet...

What's odd about this is would you think it would make NO difference. After the Virtual NIC is not being changed, but the Port Group is...!!!

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
CrisRobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So we thought also. Apparently the distro ( the GA release) has the issue.

I am hoping to get this issue posted as a KB artical.

c

0 Kudos