VMware Cloud Community
airswimmmer
Contributor
Contributor

SRM service does not start automatically

Hi all,

my srm service doesn't start automatically on server reboots, but I have no problem starting the service manually.

SRM is using the local SQL DB, I though it's might be because SRM tried to start before the SQL service starts, so I put in the SQL service as the dependency of the SRM service. it didn't fix it.

from the SRM logs, I found these:

Log for VMware Site Recovery Manager, pid=2216, version=1.0.1, build=build-128004, option=Release, section=2

Failed to create console writer

Set dump dir to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\DumpFiles'

Intializing the DBManager

Connection: Could not connect to database: -1

DBManager error: Could not initialize Vdb connection: ODBC error: (28000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'SRMLogin '.

Application initialization error: Could not initialize Vdb connection: ODBC error: (28000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'SRMLogin '.

vmware-dr service stopped

anyone got similar problem? any ideas?

thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
yvan_seeholtz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

you must have a SRM user (which was set during installation). it can be an AD account or local account

this user needs to have rights on the vCenter Server (eg local administrator,...)

if the SRM service doesn't start, it seems to be because the password has been changed

I you don't remenber it, the user login/pwd can be changed at any tim

Below are the steps to change the SRM user id:

1. Log in to the SRM server host and start a Windows command shell.

2. Change directory to %ProgramFiles%\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\bin

3. Run the following command to update the user ID and password, supplying the new <userID> on the command line and the password when prompted:

%ProgramFiles%\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\bin>srm-config.exe -cmd updateuser -cfg ..\config\vmware-dr.xml -u <userID>

Yvan

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

It seems indeed like the password changed....

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
airswimmmer
Contributor
Contributor

the SRM user and password hasn't change as far as I know, but what you said makes sense, I will try it. Thanks for your help :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
paradox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some additional information for this post (I am now working on this issue).

The password has been reset. The same SQL errors are shown in the log.

As mentioned before, the service starts fine manually, just not on boot (intermittent)

VMware tools has been updated.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Dependencies setup correctly?

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
paradox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Should be. I have reset using "sc config vmware-dr Depend= MSSQL$SRM" rebooted and the SRM Service had not started.

Out of interest, now vmware-dr will kick MSSQL$SRM into service but reports a start/stop condition on vmware-dr (while testing manually)

A second start on vmware-dr brings it to life

Log for VMware Site Recovery Manager, pid=2176, version=1.0.1, build=build-128004, option=Release, section=2

Failed to create console writer

Set dump dir to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Site Recovery Manager\DumpFiles'

Intializing the DBManager

Connection: Could not connect to database: -1

DBManager error: Could not initialize Vdb connection: ODBC error: (28000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'SRMLogin '.

Application initialization error: Could not initialize Vdb connection: ODBC error: (28000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'SRMLogin '.

vmware-dr service stopped

0 Kudos
paradox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This has been resolved ( in a fashion ). Logged SR with VMWare, after setting dependencies and resetting user account again they determined the database is not mounting fast enough. The fix is to

1) Optimize the DB or

2) script a delayed start. I was pointed unofficially to this http://qvlweb.blogspot.com/2008/08/delaying-service-startup.html

Its working on boot now...

Dan

0 Kudos