VMware Cloud Community
mccallman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM server rebuild - certificates

Hello,

I have had to rebuild a recovery site SRM server. These was no backup. The database, DSN and application install fine however when I connect to SRM from my protected site vcenter server I get a certificate error

Login of SRM server 'Primary DC' into SRM server 'Secondary Site' failed. SRM server 'Primary DC' cannot validate SSL certificate from server at 'recovery site srm server.com:8095'. The remote host certificate has these problems: 

* The host certificate chain is not complete. reason.msg

From the recovery site VC when I try and configure I get the following site.

Call "DrRemoteSiteManager.ProbeDrConnection" for object "DrRemoteSiteManager" on Server "sdsrm01.gbn.com" failed.

I have read somewhere that if SRM is not uninstalled cleaning you will have problems connecting a new server.

How can I remove old SRM certificates from the recovery and protected site virtual centres?

Many thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

AFAIK, if one of SRM servers is lost and no backup is available - you have to reinstall both SRM servers and re-create the setup from scratch.

It's not only about the certificates, SRM DBs at both sites must be in sync.

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

AFAIK, if one of SRM servers is lost and no backup is available - you have to reinstall both SRM servers and re-create the setup from scratch.

It's not only about the certificates, SRM DBs at both sites must be in sync.

Michael.

0 Kudos
mccallman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for this. I have reinstalled SRM and have now taken a Veeam zip backup!

0 Kudos
VMSE
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi - we are facing the same issue and we are using SRM 5.02 with self signed certificates and so I would have thought using Credential Based authentication. But for some reason we are seeing exactly the same issue as above. There has been some previous attempts to get this in place and certificates from VC imported at varying times. Did you find that you had to start again with a completely clean OS to ensure that nothing was left behind forcing SRM to use Certificate based authentication ?

0 Kudos
mccallman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We lost our secondary SRM server. So that was a new build. However on our primary SRM server I uninstalled SRM and any plugins and re-installed. The OS remained.

0 Kudos