VMware Cloud Community
John_Balsillie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM protected vm restarts - sequential or parallel?

In the VMware Site Recovery Manager traing course Lab Manual, it states:

"Virtual machines with a high priority will be started sequentially. Virtual machines with a normal or low priority will be started in parallel."

Is this correct? I have only ever seen sequential restarts, regardles of priority.

If parallel restarts are possible, how/where is this configured?

John Balsillie VCI VCP5 VCAP4-DCA VCP4 VCP3 Explorer IT Services Pty Ltd
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jay_Judkowitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How many hosts are in the cluster at the recovery site? We start 1 VM per host in the normal and low priority groups. If you have only 1 host, it will effectively be sequential.

Other than using the normal and low priority groups, there is nothing you need to get parallel startup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jay_Judkowitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How many hosts are in the cluster at the recovery site? We start 1 VM per host in the normal and low priority groups. If you have only 1 host, it will effectively be sequential.

Other than using the normal and low priority groups, there is nothing you need to get parallel startup.

0 Kudos
mullo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi John,

This is correct.

I created a test recovery plan with two machines in the high priority group and two normal priority group. The two high priority started sequentially, and the two normal priority parallel.

Although running a bigger test, with more normal priority machines showed that only two will start parallel at a time. This may be due to the number of physcial hosts (only two on the recovery end), I'm not sure on that. The only configuration i did was to put the machines under the "Recover High Priority Virtual Machines" and "Recover Normal Priority Virtual Machines" in the recovery plan steps.

Hope this helps.

John_Balsillie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you. I had only been using a single recovery ESX host so this explains the sequential restarts for low and normal priority vms.

There is a brief mention of parallelism in both the Release notes and in the Admin Guide (very brief mention).

John Balsillie VCI VCP5 VCAP4-DCA VCP4 VCP3 Explorer IT Services Pty Ltd
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Correct John. it will start parallel when you have multiple hosts.

Duncan

Blogging:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Clearly we need parallel start-ups - otherwise every VM you had would start up in series and the main bottle neck would be the recovery plan...

I've found it odd when I first started working with SRM that there was only one start-up priority that allowed you strictly control boot order...

Also, you wouldn't know about "parallel" start-up until you RTFM, bought my book or did the training course - what i mean is there is nothing in the product that would give the game away - unless you watched the recovery plan closely.

I would like to see High, and so all - all have the ability to have a start-up order with the 4th category called "I don't care start these up in any order you please!". I forget now - do the lower order priorties still you allow to move the VMs up and down - or is that supressed in the UI. Cos if its there, it doesn't do anything for ya! Smiley Happy

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos