VMware Cloud Community
scotth201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM protected site and recovery site - different network

Quick question about SRM and networking.  Will SRM work correctly if my protected site includes a cisco 1000v while my recovery site just has a vSwitch?

Would someone be able to provide some in site to this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you set up Site Recovery Manager mappings, you map port groups, compute resources (i.e. clusters), resource groups and folders from the protected site to the recovery site.

When you fail over, the virtual machine will migrate from the port groups it is in on the protected site, to the corresponding mapped port groups on the recovery site.  As long as the virtual machines you are protecting can acess the resources they need by utlising the port groups they will be in once they move to the recovery site, then I don't believe you will have any problems, Cisco 1000v or not.

While I have never done a failover from a 1000V to non, I dont' see why you would have any problems as long as you get your virtual and physical network configuration right on the disaster recovery site.

Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company he works for.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you set up Site Recovery Manager mappings, you map port groups, compute resources (i.e. clusters), resource groups and folders from the protected site to the recovery site.

When you fail over, the virtual machine will migrate from the port groups it is in on the protected site, to the corresponding mapped port groups on the recovery site.  As long as the virtual machines you are protecting can acess the resources they need by utlising the port groups they will be in once they move to the recovery site, then I don't believe you will have any problems, Cisco 1000v or not.

While I have never done a failover from a 1000V to non, I dont' see why you would have any problems as long as you get your virtual and physical network configuration right on the disaster recovery site.

Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company he works for.
0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

To confirm AnthBro's words, no problem to do that. This is supported setup.

Michael.