VMware Cloud Community
pmartinez83
Contributor
Contributor

SRM - from MirrorView to RecoverPoint

Hello,

Client currently has SRM + Clariion + MirrorView . To optmize WAN link utilization and increase the number of VMs in Protected Group we are offering a solution based on RecoverPoint. They will keep both Clariions and the Virtual Infrastructure will not change.

What would be the correct procedure to replace existing SRA for MirrorView with the new one ? is there any migration path or we should plan a fresh install ?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
krik0011
Contributor
Contributor

We are going through this exact scenario. From my discussions with our SE you can have whatever SRA's you want installed on the SRM box. You could mix Recoverpoint, MV, Netapp, etc. After installing the RP SRA you setup another Array Manager with your RecoverPoint information.

0 Kudos
pmartinez83
Contributor
Contributor

True, you can have multiple SRAs on same SRM box working at the same time... but... for the same array ?

0 Kudos
krik0011
Contributor
Contributor

That would probably be more of a question for EMC however when you setup the Array Manager for RP you point it to the RPA's not the array like MV. I would assume you can chose what technology to use for replication on a LUN basis?

pmartinez83
Contributor
Contributor

The thing is...as I am aware, we cannot use different technologies to protect the same array...

And as far as I can imagine, RecoverPoint Groups can be created and left disabled, then once ready to move over we will need to destroy MirrorView mirrors and enable groups for RecoverPoint and finally, allow them to sync... I wish we could just simple "migrate"...

Any recomendation ?

0 Kudos
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As stated krik0011 I also suspect that there would be nothing stopping you from configuring replication using both RecoverPoint and MirrorView on the same device. Obviously, your replication targets will need to be different. I'm pretty confident that SRM should throw an error if you were to attempt to configure Protection Groups the same device replicated by both RecoverPoint and MirrorView...or a bug should be submitted. SRM should have no method of actually determining that MirrorView and RecoverPoint are replicating the same device but it will know that virtual machines of the same name will exist on different protected volumes.

I would configure the RecoverPoint Consistency Groups and let the full volume sweep/inital images sync occur. Once full sync is complete destroy your SRM Recovery Plans and Protection Groups, remove the MirrorView array managers, add RecoverPoint array managers, recreate Protection Groups and Recovery Plans. If the full sync has not occured you will not be able to create a Protection Group. Also, insure you have your RecoverPoint Consistency Groups set for SRM managed mode.

Tim Oudin

Tim Oudin