VMware Cloud Community
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM failover for VMs but not all VMDK disks to be included

Hi, I have a number of VMs that need failover protection, but not all the VMDK disks need to be included when failing over to the opposite site. For example, a VM may have 3 drives and only drives 1 & 2 need failing over to the recovery site - can SRM be configured to ignore the 3rd drive?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I was not aware of a fact that replicated vmdk cannot be detached. I believe this is by design.

Why do you replicate data you don't need? Can you place those vmdks on non-replicated LUN?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

The answer is yes and it can be done very easily.

Just right-click on VM in Protection group and choose "Configure Protection".

On "Storage Devices" screen locate the unneeded vmdk and click "detach":

1.jpg

This will tell SRM to ignore the VMDK and you wiil be able to complete the wizard and get the VM protected:

2.jpg

Michael.

0 Kudos
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Michael, I'll test this today and get back to you with the outcome.

0 Kudos
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Michael, unfortunately when I go the 'Storage Protection Configuration' screen the option to 'detach' the disk is greyed out, hence I cannot deselect the drive.

All my VMs requiring protection are located on 5 LUNs (consistency group). With regards to the VM's where I need to omit one drive these are also located on the  consistency group LUNs apart from the drives I do not need for SRM. When configuring the 'array managers', I noted that SRM automatically picks up all LUNs i.e. the consistency group LUNs and any other LUNs which host disks for those VMs on the consistency group LUNs. For example, assume LUNs 1 to 5 are the consistency group LUNs and on LUN1 there is a VM with a disk file on LUN12, then LUN12 is also picked up.

When on the 'Storage Protection Configuration' screen the hard disk shows as replicated and the option to 'detach' the disk is greyed out - is there a workaround for this?

Cheers

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I was not aware of a fact that replicated vmdk cannot be detached. I believe this is by design.

Why do you replicate data you don't need? Can you place those vmdks on non-replicated LUN?

0 Kudos
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a good question which I'm checking with the user - I know these specific VMs are used for Backups and have large disks.

Nonetheless, you've answered the question that of these LUNs were not replicated then it is feasible to detach via the SRM configuration. I assume tis is correct?

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, on screenshots above harddisk 2 resides on datastore named "labmanager" which is not replicated.

That's why on first screenshot you can see that its status is "not configured" and this doesn't allow this VM to be protected.

However, on second screenshot you can see that after I chosed"detach" option harddisk's status changed to "not attached" and it is possible to protect the VM.