VMware Cloud Community
Atul2Mahajan
Contributor
Contributor

SRM error: Failed to recover datastore 'TestSRM'. VMFS volume residing on recovered devices '"async-TestSRM"' and expected to be auto-mounted during HBA rescan cannot be found.

We were testing the SRM recovery failover in our setup but the failover was not successful with partial failover and the following error was reported at 8th step:

8. Change Recovery Site Storage to Writeable:

Error - Failed  to recover datastore 'TestSRM'. VMFS volume residing on recovered  devices '"async-TestSRM"' and expected to be auto-mounted during HBA  rescan cannot be found.

Also a warning message was reported:

Device "TestSRM":

Warning:

A storage operation requested on unknown storage device 'async-TestSRM'.

sraError.6b1170c8-22a0-39da-80fa-5a1ab4d9e3a2.warning.4042.desc

sraError.6b1170c8-22a0-39da-80fa-5a1ab4d9e3a2.warning.4042.fixHint

But when we manually promoted the secondary Mirror LUN the VM was Up and running on the secindary site.

SRM version is 5.0

We are using EMC mirrorview for replication between primary and secondary site.

Please suggest if there is some issue with the HBA rescan or something else which is missing.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Atul Mahajan

0 Kudos
10 Replies
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Was the initial setup and configuration carried out by your self, EMC or a qualified partner

If it was your team, was the deployment following consultation with the installation document?

Have you successfully tested a Test plan as opposed to a failover?

Can you manually mount the DR side (now writeable) volume?

Is the DR side target volume for the replica in the storage group(s) presented to the ESXi hosts?

Have you created an SRM Log bundle - this could be provided to the community posting and I would also post your question here

https://community.emc.com/community/connect/everything_vmware?view=overview

Posting on this EMC VMware focused resource will bring it to the attention of the EMC SRM engineering team

Many thanks

Alex Tanner

0 Kudos
Atul2Mahajan
Contributor
Contributor

The installation was carried out by my team following the SRM installation document.

To test a recovery plan snapview is required to be implemented on the storage, which we are not using currently.

We are able to mount manually the DR site volume and it is in the storage group presented to ESXi host.

There is a parameter setting for HBA rescan but for scanning the HBAs again. but i could not find it in the SRM config file.

Regards

Atul Mahajan

0 Kudos
Atul2Mahajan
Contributor
Contributor

I am also attaching the Logs from the VMware SRM logs folder.

Hope this helps in diagnosing the error.

0 Kudos
bneumann
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Could you please send the logs from the other site to me (EMC Engineering) so I can take a look at the actual failover operation? I will send you a private message with my contact information.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
roshanshetty
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar issue at a customer site. Can you please let me know if you have found a solution/work around to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
bneumann
Contributor
Contributor

roshanshetty,

I am sending you a private message with my contact info.  Can you please collect the SRM logs from both sites and send them to me?

0 Kudos
VAMegalodon
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am experiencing exactly the same issue when we tried to recover en reprotected recovery plan.

We first did a recovery a few days before which went fine.

step 8:

Error - Failed to recover datastore 'xxxx'. VMFS volume residing on recovered devices '"115"' and expected to be auto-mounted during HBA rescan cannot be found.

We use SVC from IBM.

0 Kudos
roshanshetty
Contributor
Contributor

The issue is now resolved for us.

The issue was resolved after setting the host re-scan value to 2 and Turning OFF the Hardware accelerated locking on the DR site ESXi host.

We upgraded to 5.0.1 and did the following changes

Change 1-

Procedure
1 Click Sites in the left pane, and right-click the site whose settings you want to change.
2 Click Advanced Settings.
3 Click storageProvider.
4 Modify the SAN provider settings.
---->To repeat host scans during testing and recovery, enter a new value in the
storageProvider.hostRescanRepeatCnt text box. Some storage arrays require more than one rescan,
for example to discover the snapshots of failed-over LUNs
For more information, see the section Change SAN Provider Settings in the VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager Administration Guide.
Change 2-

If you go to Host > Configuration > Storage, you can see the Hardware Acceleration Status on the on the right side of the right panel.

Click the Configuration tab, and click Advanced Settings under Software.

Change value of VMFS3.HardwareAcceleratedLocking to 0

bneumann
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for update and for the description of how you resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
Atul2Mahajan
Contributor
Contributor

After the Partial failover, we manually scanned the datastore in the VCenter. The failover completed and the VMs were up and running on the secondary site.

After that we again did the recover and this time the failover was successful.

0 Kudos