VMware Cloud Community
smokey71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SRM does not wait for DPM enabled hosts

Hello,

We are currently testing our vSphere 5/SRM 5 environment and for the most part, everything is going very well except for the wake up process initiated by SRM to DPM enabled hosts.

--------------------------------

The SRM 5.0 doco states:

SRM temporarily disables DPM for the cluster and ensures that all hosts in it are powered on before recovery begins. After the recovery or test is complete, SRM re-enables DPM for the cluster, but the hosts in it are left in the running state so that DPM can power them down as needed.

--------------------------------

The issue we are seeing is that SRM does indeed send the wake up call to the hosts in standby-mode and marks the recovery step as successful. The problem is that SRM does not wait until the hosts are completely powered on before before powering on VMs. The standby hosts upon wake up properly access the newly presented storage without issue. The problem is that the test bubble network is not created on the standby hosts and no VMs are assigned to these hosts during the entire testing process.

Having said that, I have checked advanced settings and I am unable to find a setting that will force SRM to wait for the standby hosts to be fully integrated back into the cluster before performing additional steps.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? Am I missing a setting somwhere? My fear is that this behaviour will occur during a real failover and potentially cause problems.

Thank you for your time,

Smokey

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

This should not happen.

Can you please open a SR, upload log bundle, so engineers will be able to understand what is happening?

Post the SR number once you open a case.

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

This should not happen.

Can you please open a SR, upload log bundle, so engineers will be able to understand what is happening?

Post the SR number once you open a case.

Michael.

0 Kudos
smokey71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. We will open a ticket and post our findings upon resolution.

-Smokey

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

What is SR number?

Michael.

0 Kudos
smokey71
Contributor