VMware Cloud Community
m_crocker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM database on Oracle 11g multischema server

Hello,

I am working with a customer on a new build of VMware vSphere and the conversation has come up around support for multischema DB servers. The customer's Oracle DBA team said they typically run a single DB with multiple schemas to give the illusion of a separate DB. I can't find anything in the 5.5 documentation for SRM that says this is supported, for vCenter yes. All documentation talks about having a separate DB for SRM. Wondering if perhaps this doco is just SQL-centric.

Any ideas? Has anyone used an Oracle DB configured with a single DB/multiple schemas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Daniel_Georgiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi m_crocker,

according to SRM 5.5 admin guide this is not supported DB configuration.(https://pubs.vmware.com/srm-55/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/srm-install-config-5-5.pdf)

Page 27:

"The SRM Server requires its own database, which it uses to store data such as recovery plans and inventory information."

"Each SRM site requires its own instance of the SRM database. Use a different database server instance to run the individual SRM databases for each site. If you use the same database server instance to run the databases for both sites, and if the database server experiences a problem, neither SRM site will work and you will not be able to perform a recovery."

Hope this help,

Daniel G.

0 Kudos
m_crocker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Daniel, I have read through all of the documentation and understand it reads like this is not supported. However in saying that, I think all of the documentation is written towards SQL Server and not Oracle. Oracle does things slightly differently to SQL where separation of application databases is achieved through multiple schemas. I have thrown this out to a handful of other VMware gurus on Twitter and I have been told it is not a problem. Worst case we move the schema to its own database at a later date if VMware support ever complains.

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I can not comment about SRM, but for VRMS - running two different schemas at the same Oracle DB instance for two different VRMS servers does not work. Having separate schemas for vCenter, SRM and VRMS at the same Oracle DB instance might work, but is not tested or officially supported.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
m_crocker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for the slow reply, our VMware SE has confirmed it is supported with the relevant BUs within VMware.

0 Kudos